Burglar alarm

Bonjour from France!

Now can anyone help me with what make of alarm I should be purchasin for my old French farmhouse? It has metre thick walls, so I guess wireless system is what I need. Also a make that I could pick up th spare parts in France might be good, even though I would want to bu the system in the UK and take it out. Someone said Bosch was good, wha do you all think? We certainly need a system that is rock solid tha will not play up the minute we are away. Now what I need is an offer of help on the installation and i exchange, I will give you full board in the beautiful South of Franc for a week. Any takers

-- Frenchy

Reply to
Frenchy

In article , Frenchy writes

You don't want a wireless system then... especially not if you are going to be away for long periods.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:39:12 +0100, Frenchy scrawled:

No-one _needs_ wireless, some have to put up with it. I personally wouldn't touch wireless with your bargepole but I've heard good reports from some fellow installers who have used the professional trade equipment, not the B&Q specials.

Yep, the Bosch is apparantly a good choice, as is the GardTec, the Honywell Domonial and The Scantronic Class VI offerings. These are a bit less easy to come by by DIYers as they are generally only available to trade, One of the better top end DIY\low endPro systems is the ESP Infinite. All depends what you can get, if you can tempt a professional installer over then you can get them to supply anything you want then.

Hmmm, tempting.

Reply to
Lurch

Check locally if you are allowed to fit an external sounder. In (some areas of?) France you aren't allowed to put up a external sounder. Something to do with noise pollution laws.

...at least this was the case in the town where I used to live. I had an internal (deafening) sounder - and we wuz still robbed... C**p French wireless system the locals are used to dealing with...

Reply to
John Weston

And the concept of wireless systems and spare parts don't go too well together either. With a wired system, you can generally use anyone's detectors -- not so with a wireless system.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Hi,

I've just been looking to install an alarm at my home (England!).

Wireless - bad. False alarms. Interference. Easy to disarm from outside!

Best bet is one of the 'professional' systems, which are more difficult to get hold of by the DIY-er.

How computer savvy are you? The more complex alarms can require a lot of programming.....

Having googled for ages, and looked at

a lot (good reviews section & v.good forums...) I'm going for a Texecom Premier (from

AJB

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:33:35 +0100, AJB scrawled:

Can't argue with that.

Good choice for a professional DIY system. Not a fantastic choice if you're not fully conversant with alarm installation practices.

Reply to
Lurch

Funny how the same people pop up all over the place, eh, Stu? .. :-)

Fairy Nuff. But I write software for a living, and will probably spend a few days playing with the programming.... The installation guide seems pretty well written (140+ pages or so!) It looks like a pretty configurable system.

Reply to
AJB

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:11:41 +0100, AJB scrawled:

Ah, now I know who you are!

It'll do pretty much anything you want, it's one of the better DIY systems available, which is why I stopped installing them.

Reply to
Lurch

Alas, meter thick walls are probably a really bad idea with wireless - the wireless gets absorbed.

1m SDS bits are cheap.
Reply to
Ian Stirling

Yes. My comment would be that I work in broadcast audio and of course use radio links of various types. Costing typically 2 grand or so plus.

But none beats a cable...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)