Lets all buy from Sears

Page 1 of 3
Subject: Sears - Christmas shopping has already started
I know I needed this reminder since Sears isn't always my first choice. Amazing when you think of how long the war has lasted and they haven't withdrawn from their commitment. Could we each buy at least one thing at Sears this year?
How does Sears treat its employees who are called up for military duty? By law, they are required to hold their jobs open and available, but nothing more. Usually, people take a big pay cut and lose benefits as a result of being called up.
Sears is voluntarily paying the difference in salaries and maintaining all benefits, including medical insurance and bonus programs, for all called up reservist employees for up to two years.
I submit that Sears is an exemplary corporate citizen and should be recognized for its contribution. I suggest we all shop at Sears, and be sure to find a manager to tell them why we are there so the company gets the positive reinforcement it well deserves.
Pass it on.
Decided to check this before I sent it forward. So I sent the following e-mail to the Sears Customer Service Department:
I received this e-mail and I would like to know if it is true. If it is, the Internet may have just become one very good source of advertisement for your company. I know I would go out of my way to buy products from Sears instead of another store for a like item, even if it's cheaper at that store.
This is their answer to my e-mail:
Dear Customer:
Thank you for contacting Sears.The information is factual. We appreciate your positive feedback.
Sears regards service to our country as one of greatest sacrifices our young men and women can make. We are happy to do our part to lessen the burden they bear at this time.
Bill Thorn Sears Customer Care snipped-for-privacy@sears.com 1-800-349-4358
Please pass this on to all your friends. Sears needs to be recognized for this outstanding contribution and we need to show them as Americans, we do appreciate what they are doing for our military!!!
It's Verified ! By Snopes.com at: http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/sears.asp (shows the entire article)
When they stop selling overpriced crap I will be there in a flash.
SCREW SEARS IN THE A??

Price, Quality, Service. Pick any two.
On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 12:33:39 -0600, "ANovice"

<snip>
I am in the market to buy a spindle sander. After getting a price quote, Sears was the highest ($1120+tax). I got a low bid of $780. Lowest price delivered wins! It saves to check around.
sears home service is a fools price rip off, charging 2 travel charges to have the exact same tech service a furnace with air on one trip.
sears appliances always cost more.
more to buy, more for service..
the satisfaction guaranteed or your money back guarantee left when k mart took over.

Sears owns K...
Sears lost my business 7 years ago when they sent gang members to my house to deliver appliances. I haven't been back since. Lou
Lou wrote:

Yeah, they outsourced the delivery and they outsourced the service, and it got much worse. Never let them deliver anything. Hopefully you won't need warranty service.
Still, they very often have the best price, by far, on appliances, and have a much larger selection that places like Home Depot, Lowes's, Best Buy, Circuit City, Fry's, or Costco. Costco has the benefit of a 2 year standard warranty, but their selection is very limited.
I need to buy a range and microwave/hood for a rental unit. I was in Sears today, and I did my usual "reluctant to buy today routine," which almost always results in a fairly substantial price cut. In this case the oven came down from $450 ($500 sale price - 10% mail in rebate) to $382 with no rebate needed. This was the "associate friends and family discount") which was 20% then another 10%, for 28% off the non-sale price of $530.
I actually would have paid the higher price, as no other oven from any manufacturer had the features I wanted for the rental, which was coil burners (no ceramic top) but self-cleaning including the oven racks, and a hidden oven element (the last two features are rather rare on sub-$1000 ranges), though common on more expensive ceramic cooktop ranges.
Similarly, the microwave/hood I wanted was not available anywhere else. I needed a relatively high CFM 30" hood/microwave (400 cfm) which is not all that common for less than $500, but with the 28% discount, there is new Kenmore model that is around $250. If you have tenants that do a lot of Asian stir-fry type cooking, you need a high cfm exhaust. Even 400 cfm isn't terrific, but a lot of the microwave/hoods are 300 cfm or less.
SMS 斯蒂文• 夏 wrote:

I bought a Kenmore microwave oven about 9 months ago and it went belly up last week.
Prior to buying it I had a GE microwave and it lasted 26 years without any repairs. No more Kenmores for me, thank you.
RF
on 11/13/2007 7:05 PM RF said the following:

Before buying a new microwave, find out who made the Kenmore, so you don't go out and buy the same brand somewhere else. http://www.appliance411.com/parts/sears.shtml
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:
<snip>

This is true. In fact the Kenmore stuff I just bought, is made by GE. As with all brands, there is the good and the bad. Just because something is Kenmore by GE or Kenmore by Whirlpool, doesn't mean much as each manufacturer has a wide range of models and quality.
RF wrote:

OTOH, the Kenmore we bought before the move from VA to TN (which is as close as I can place the time which makes it prior to July, 1978) is still functional for my daughter, daily...

How old was the Kenmore when you bought it? Who was the prior owner, and how do you know it wasn't abused?
I also recently replaced a 27 yo Panasonic microwave, and gave the old unit away. It's still working fine for the new owner.
I replaced it with a GE, which works fine, but the damn beeping at the end of cycle is going to earn it an early grave. There is absolutely no reason for that thing to beep so loudly, or so incessantly.
Get a new one next time, they come with warranties I'm told.
k wrote:

It was 0 years old - BRAND NEW!!

But I did!

Companies often lose business from people due to things like that, but the reality is, your experience means little to the rest of us.
Consider the following, If every Kenmore microwave died in 9 months, the brand would be out of business. Most are quite reliable. Kenmore brand is manufactured by at least three of the major appliance makers so there is a good change your next one will be made by the same company Most microwaves, regardless of the brand label, are made on two or three assembly lines (Sharp is one of the biggest) Every appliance company has a few DOAs or early demises or multi-repaired lemons. No appliance company makes things the way they did 26 years ago, be that good or bad Sometimes, shit happens. Sucks when it happens to you.
In terms of real dollars (or hours worked to buy the appliance) you paid a LOT of money back then compared to the $49 you can pay today. Chances are, you had to work 15 to 20 hours to buy the basic model compared to 2 hours for one well equipped.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Yes, it's true that microwaves are very reliable generally. But all manufacturing is done to certain tolerances and at times a component that falls just outside the range is made and installed. That's usually the reason they fail.
Hopefully, there is no other similar component in it waiting to go bellyup :-)
On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 15:50:22 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Our local KMart is usually empty. One time I went there and a security person kept watching every move I made. I left the store and ever since have been shopping at WalMart.

Yeah, me too. I find it much easier to shoplift at Walmart.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

bought ATT, when the holding company that owned Kmart bought Sears, they started calling themselves Sears, since it had a better public image after all the bloodletting during the Kmart downsizing. They also closed down the Troy MI Kmart HQ, and moved all the non-redundant people to the suburban Chicago Sears HQ (where they moved after having to sell the tower downtown that they really shouldn't have built.) A whole lotta people got screwed over bigtime on now-worthless stocks held by their retirement plans.
Other than Craftsman non-powered tools when they have a sale, there really isn't anything either store carries that interests me. Yes, with a couple of minor exceptions, the craftsman-branded tools are still guaranteed. The cheap line, known as 'companion', are not.
They missed a bet with the merger, IMHO- rather than close or sell off the stand-alone or stripmall Kmarts, they should have walked away from the expen$ive enclosed-mall rents where Sears is, and made the Kmarts into old-style Sears stores like in the 1960s and 70s. Sears is too nice to be Wally World, but not nice enough to be a high-line fashion store. They tried to go upscale 30 years ago, and it bit them in the butt, bigtime.