Lets all buy from Sears

What war? I happened to be in San Diego three years ago when the President stood on the deck of an aircraft carrier in his camouflage suit to tell us that our mission in Iraq had been accomplished and the war was over. I always believe what the President says. It's unpatriotic not to. Paul

Reply to
Paul MR

Supporting the troops is not the same as supporting Bush or the war...it is supporting families. Try opening your eyes...and keeping your head out of your posterior.

Reply to
pheeh.zero

S.S.Kresge (where the K comes from) started a store in 1899 in Detroit later moving to Troy. There was a merger...the new Sears Holdings is in Hoffman Estates, Il. where Sears was.

Reply to
pheeh.zero

But, the "merger" was instigated by K and they paid something like $11B. Each S and K maintain separate "headquarters" under the auspices of the holding company.

What always seemed peculiar to me in the deal was if K was indeed bankrupt, how there were $11B in assets that didn't go to creditors--seems as if there were those kind of "extra" assets after the liquidation/reorganization it would be hard to say were actually "bankrupt". But, I guess it all depends on what the meaning of "is" is... :(

Reply to
dpb

You're trying to provide facts to those who prefer to not to hear. What is so hilarious, though, is that those same folks will scream bloody murder whenever someone brings up Algore's "I created the internet" moment. ROTFLOL.

Reply to
Dave Bugg

No, he made his speech standing in front of a HUGE banner hung by his advance crew that said in letters several feet tall: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Later, his spin crew tried valiantly to convince the media that they had nothing to do with that huge banner that "Just happened to be there".

Reply to
salty

Wars have many missions. The mission to destroy the Iraqi army and depose So-Dammned-Insane WAS accomplished.

Reply to
Dave Bugg

Sure, Rush, take some more pills.

Reply to
salty

That's a rebuttal? You hear something that doesn't match your opinion and you throw out something that has nothing to do with the facts at hand? You'd better go back and read the transcript from the speech Bush gave during that event:

As was stated by a Heybub:

"You may be thinking of his statement: "... major combat operations in Iraq have ended. In the battle of Iraq, the United States and our allies have prevailed." But, of course, he was refering to engagements with the Iraqi army. There have been no major (brigade or larger unit) sized operations since."

Reply to
Dave Bugg

Which was placed by carrier's Capt and crew before they left the Gulf and LONG before the presidential trip was planned.

Of course since that was the truth.; It was an indication that the carrier's mission had been accomplished.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Then, the ankle bracelet acquired Martha in 2006

Reply to
Phisherman

Have another cup of koolaid, Kurt.

Reply to
salty

No Koolaid involved. When a dignitary visits a deployed vessel, the crew hangs signs. They hang bigger signs for bigger dignitaries. I'm sure the skipper of the boat had to approve the banner that hung on the island that day, but I doubt he considered the fact that the media would use the wordage as an anti-Bush rally slogan. The words 'MISSION ACCOMPLISHED' were chosen and displayed by the crew, not the President's press secretary, and the banner was placed by the crew as a background for a speech by the POTUS. MM took it from there....

Reply to
Shanghai McCoy

Here, let me refill your cup, Shanghai.

Reply to
salty

Now THERE'S a snappy comeback.

Reply to
Shanghai McCoy

I sensed it was all you could grasp.

Reply to
salty

You assumed. I'm going to guess that you're a wingnut who's all mouth and no spine. Ever been in the military? Thought not. Go push your socialized medicine, but please stay away from our aircraft carriers - I believe you'd F-up our banners.

Reply to
Shanghai McCoy
[snip]

Not quite right -- it may not cost you or I more to mail to an APO, but it costs many companies a LOT more, because their shipments to U.S. addresses are highly discounted. Here's why -- companies such as on-line or TV shopping channels like HSN use a trucking company, not the post office, to move goods from their warehouse to the buyer's local post office . The local post office delivers the package at a special discounted rate. The combined costs of shipping plus local postal are less than using USPS from the shipper's warehouse..

But they can't use this method to ship to APOs because their trucking company can't get there, so they either have to set up a separate shipping procedure for APO mailings -- making the overhead and the shipping for APO orders more expensive, or make a business decision not to sell to APO addresses.

If you ever have an order from HSN that doesn't get delivered, and trace it back to the post office, you'll find out that it was delivered to your local PO by R R Donnelly Logistics. Other on-line or TV sellers have similar arrangements.

Companies which use FedEx, UPS, etc. have similar problems delivering to APOs

Reply to
JimR

Chuckle. At work, for anything too big for the APO bag, we use DHL or FEDEX into their depots in Bagram or Baghdad. Street addresses are kind of fuzzy over there- our people often have to go pick it up themselves. Shipping equipment into SWA is a major PITA- every border crossed, there is some form to fill out, and some sort of 'inspection fee' or 'duty' to pay. And if you piss off the head of whatever border station, well, your stuff just sits. About 2 shipments out of 10 just sort of vanish without a trace.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Figures!