sears all conditioner

hello, i asked at this question at alt.hvac and they directed me towards this site to ask. i now own a home with a sears all conditioner. i have never heard of it and neither has a furncae i talked to. the thing is huge and does the air conditioning and heating all inthe house. has anyone every dealt wit this and can it be fixed if iit ever gets broken. thank you ahead of time. thank you. d_tarn

Reply to
d_tarn

I've never heard of a sears all conditioner either.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

I have not heard of one, but I am sure it is just someone's heatpump re-badged for Sears.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Sears re-badges the Goodman line normally. Now..if its older than 20 years old, its probably an old Consolodated Brand unit...and you dont want that thing in your home anyway.

Reply to
steve

D > i asked at this question at alt.hvac and they directed me towards this D > site to ask. i now own a home with a sears all conditioner. i have D > never heard of it and neither has a furncae i talked to. the thing is D > huge and does the air conditioning and heating all inthe house. has D > anyone every dealt wit this and can it be fixed if iit ever gets D > broken. thank you ahead of time. thank you.

Presume there are a few typing errors up there so is the "sears all conditioner" a "Sears Air Conditioner"? If it's "huge" and does the cooling and heating then my guess is it is a heat pump. It can be fixed, presumably by Sears Service (1-800-4MY-HOME) as it is their unit.

My parents are on their second heat pump (first one installed around

1972). The main component that failed was the belt driving the squirrel cage. Dad found out a certain (car's) fan belt was the same as the one used by the manufacturer. Keep a spare on hand; replace with the circuit breaker off -- you don't want the unit starting up on you!!

Another item to watch with heat pumps is the auxiliary heater(s). On the original model they were electric elements; presume the same on current models. Resistance heat is _very_ expensive. As the thermostat had a light to indicate when the aux.heat was on we rigged up an audible alarm.

  • Definition: Terminal Illness -- Sickness at airport
Reply to
barry martin

How do you assume its a heat pump? Most every make for the last 20 years or so, use the EXACT same size footprint be it a heat pump, a gas pack, or straight air with electric heat.

And WHY would he want to call Sears to repair what will turn out to be a unit NOT made by Sears, and pay 3X the price???

I repair them all day long...its not a problem, particularly since its more than likely a Goodman POS unit.

Sheesh...you dont use HP rated belts with Fractional HP motors...besides...belts run about $2 for a drive belt, VS $8 for a cars.. Also, About the ONLY units today, outside of commercial units, that take belts, are Lo-Boy style gas and oil units, and even then, its rare, as most are all now direct drive units.

And resistance heat, WHEN SIZED CORRECTLY, wont cost that much more to run. In colder climes, where gas, or oil is not an option for some folks, the smart thing to do is wire in an outdoor thermostat, made for the purpose, NOT a wall stat, and wire it such that when the temp drops below the balance point of the heat pump, the heat pump is shut out of the loop, and the electric strips run instead...much cheaper to operate that way. Also, keep in mind, resistance heat, is 100% AFUE....find that with anything else....:)

Reply to
steve