Price for a garage door.

Does $900-$1200 seem a good price for a metal garage door plus installation. Lifetime warranty I think. I have no idea if this is a good price so I'm curious.

Reply to
Grendel

It would be cheap for a 146 mph windload rated door here in coastal Florida.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Single or double? A few years ago I paid about $600 for a 9' Overhead Door insulated metal door installed. Depending on the style and size, it sounds like it could be a fair price. While mine was a fairly plain, it was one of the better models as far as in insulation goes. Others were more fancy and thus, more expensive. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

On 24 Aug 2004 14:45:52 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Grendel) posted:

Houston TX: $385 for white or brown double wide, installed and connected to opener. Price includes new tracks, springs, and removal and haul off of old door. YMMV.

Reply to
Tom Rojas

What size? what location? windows? insulated? steel backed? A little information may be helpfull. Around here we seem to have the lowest price range. A 16x7 plain door, no nothing, is about 500 bucks installed. add $120 for glass, $90 for insulation,... blah blah.

If someone told you "lifetime warranty", go to skeptical mode IMMEDIATLY, they are probably trying to rip you off. Most manufacturers limit their warranty to ten years.

I suspect that some "unmentioned" company (Precision) came to service your door, told you that it is beyond repair, and offered to replace it with a "lifetime" door that would solve all of your problems. If so, check around, you are probably getting the short end of the deal, (and nobody will have lifetime warranty)

Don't get me wrong, if you want a high end, steel wrapped, insulated, door with glass, and window treatments, + low headroom tracks, $1200 may be a good estimate. (in my area, of course). Not to mention that a high end carriage house door will be quite expensive.

The warranty has me spooked, the price seems a little high, the lack of information is an issue, and above all else... Caveat emptor.

good luck Joe

Reply to
Joe

Sorry for not elaborating.

Single car. The $900 model is the steel one with the least amount of insulation I think. When you get the $1200 model or so you're getting the full insulation one. The price included install and all that. Lifetime warranty. Pretty plain door, no windows, etc. This is from a pretty well known it seems outfit that's been around since 1954.

Now compare this to Home Depot. Their top of the line, best insulated model installed for $680. Another $55 to haul off old door. If I want different glass types it varies. Generally $150 more I think for the basic stuff.

Reply to
Grendel

that price seems a little high for a single size door. I just got a 10' X 10' Clopay installed for $1000, new track, etc, embossed pattern, 24ga steel on outside AND inside, with R6 insulation, no windows. bill

Reply to
bill a

I've got to agree with the other poster. That price seems a little high. Call around your area to get a few more prices. Most companys don't mind a little price shopping. It will be helpful to know a few things about what you want when you call. You'll need to know the size of the door 8x7?, 9x7? (width by height). Do you want insulation, and what type? There's vinyl backed insulation (styrofoam), and injection-foam steel backed doors. Glass can come in all kinds of flavors, but plain old single strength glass is good for most general purposes. They might want to know if you have enough headroom, so you may want to make sure that you have at least 12" from the bottom of the header to the celing. Inform them if they will need to haul the old door off or not.

By the way, I apoligize for freaking out about the warranty thing. It may very well be legitimate, and if it is, I would be interested in knowing the brand as well as my customers I'm sure.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I agree too, seems high. I got a price for a 16x8 garage door a couple of years ago, commercial duty door, raised panel, 2" thick insulated, for just under $1200. Well known company. Shop around. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Seems a bit high compared to what I paid. Try another dealer. they may have been around since 1954, but there may be a new owner that wants to retire early and wealthy and you are the first contributor to his retirement fund.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I paid $645 for a 16x7 installed and haul away the old one, in Central Ohio, a month ago. It works fine, nice tight fit that has the effect of insulation, if you ask me, compared to the old one; though it's an uninsulated door.

Reply to
Ron Hardin

Many mfg's offer a "lifetime" (for as long as you own the home & not transferable) warranty on the door sections against rust through & some also have a "lifetime" warranty on the hardware, which the Clopay

4400 is one of them. Then there are some of us very legitimate dealers
that also offers a "lifetime" warranty on the labor on that particular model only, but yes there are a few service & installation companies that have warranty statements that may be somewhat or even downright misleading.

Personally I don't have a clue how much garage doors cost in the earthquake zones of southern California, but all garage doors are not made the same (insulated residential doors run from 24 gauge to around

32 ga steel w/ 24 ga being the heaviest). So unless you are comparing apples to apples, there can be a wide range in prices. Ask your friends & neighbors who they use & recommend.

Doordoc

Doordoc

Seems a little high depending on your area. 16 x 7 insulated w/windows and opener installed for $1K in East TX

Grendel wrote:

Reply to
Raymond Koonce