Roof cement to adhere shingles?

I am making a rabbit hutch for a friend and to avoid nails through the plywood roof, I was thinking of using roofing cement to adhere the 3 tab shingles to the wood instead of nails.

Will the roofing cement suffice in windy/stormy weather once it has dried/cured? This is not a high tech/demanding project, just want something trouble free.

Reply to
beerguzzler50

Can't get much more trouble free than nailing. What's the problem w/ that? If think there's any problem w/ the bunnies getting scratched, clinch them when done, but can't imagine it could be a real issue unless the roof is too low to start with...

Reply to
dpb

For something this size I'd probably go with short screws. You can always add washers if you think the heads are too small.

Reply to
Noozer

on 11/8/2007 1:31 PM snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com said the following:

It'll be fine. Just remember to cement the bottom of the tabs to the shingle underneath so no wind can get under it. If they do blow off, just pick them up off the ground and re-glue them. :-)

Reply to
willshak

Then go with metal and use short screws. You can put metal on plywood to keep the heat down. Use the techshield decking and you will further enhance the cool underside of the roof.

If you try to glue shingles down, are you going to first glue down the felt and then glue the shingles to the felt? You are not thinking about eliminating the felt are you?

Reply to
Robert Allison

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:1194546696.670463.48790 @e34g2000pro.googlegroups.com:

Nails are a good thing as you know. You could cut a piece of styrofoam and just press it to the ceiling having the exposed nails hold it. Much easier to "reroof" of course.

You could use maybe polyurethane caulk tubes. Depending on the size of the hutch, could get expensive. They do make the contractor size tubes which may cut the cost. You would need a special caulking gun for it of course. "reroofing" nightmare probably.

Reply to
Red Green

Will work fine.

Next time for the animal type buildings, consider rolled roofing. Do the job in warm weather.

Reply to
Dioclese

It would help answer the OP's question if he would give us a little more background. How big is the hutch? How tall? If it is small enough to glue the shingles down without having to crawl around, it would probably be fine to glue them with roofing cement. On something that small, I don't think felt is necessary. I don't think they'd take much abuse, however, like walking on them, large amounts of snow and ice, etc. Perhaps as someone suggested a urethane caulk would be better. You might want to experiment. Having said that, I still think you'd be better off with some type of nail, though itdepends on the project. What are the consequences if a shingle falls off? If it's no big deal, then go for it. If the owner is going to sue your ass for emotional damages because their bunnies got wet, then better nail down with 5 nails per, two layers of ice and water, tar every shingle, etc .

Reply to
marson

Reply to
Craig M

on 11/10/2007 2:08 PM Craig M said the following:

Or aluminum sheets sold in rolls for flashing. Available at HD, Lowes, or other hardware stores

Reply to
willshak

Or, a thicker plywood roof and shorter nails.

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer

Sounds to me like a good application for a heavy duty stapler with staples of a suitable length.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

Roofing cement is the way to go. It is typically a black tarry stuff and works very well. I used it on a real house a few years ago and not a shingle has blown off despite several storms. No staples, thank you.

RF

Reply to
RF

OK, I did it with roofing cement. The metal roof would have been an alternative, but i had a bunch of shingles already. I cemented them all down and let it sit for a week. Then I loaded it in the back of my truck with the bottoms of the shingles facing into the wind driving (it was above my rooftop of the cab). They stayed on at 55MPH for 5 miles, so I think they will hold OK! Thanks for the replies.

Reply to
beerguzzler50