Metal Roof - How to?

Ive got a 12w x 24 semi-attached garage converted into living space. Its got a low slope shed style roof (4rise x 12run, peak is 8' from front) the existing shingles are shot. Its currently tarped. Inside construction is 2x6 rafters on 24" center, rafter-mate between rafters for airflow, r16 unfaced, and 1/4" plywood screwed to the rafters for a ceiling.The decking topside appears to be 6"wide plank, then felt paper, then 3 tab. Location is northeast. We get snow + ice.

Seems to me that shingles on a low slope are a bad idea. The ice-dams that developed were non-trivial. Main house roof has two sections , one of which has this slope and torch-down asphalt was used there.

I'm thinking steel roofing. DIY. I'd like to install over the existing shingle (sans tarp). What do i need to consider or research? my uninformed plan is plastic vapor barrier, 1x3 lateral slats, then steel screwdown roofing.

What considerations should I keep in mind, and does anyone know of a good DIY website/link for steel roofing?

Thanks , Mike

Reply to
mpdsville1

If you have a simple roof without alot of cutting and angles, it's not that hard to put on a steel roof, and despite all the guys that insist on power saws and shears, I just cut the sheets with a plain tin snips. I am a farmer and have built lots of barns and sheds. You can not get a decent cut lengthwise with a tin snips. For those cuts I use a straight edge and a utility knife with a new blade. Score it hard about 4 or 5 times, flip sheet over and bend it at the cut. It will snap. Yeah, you can use a circulsr saw with the blade in backwards, if you want to go deaf, get sharp metal flying everywhere, and want the tin edges sharp like a serated knife, then have to waste a half hour filing them smooth.

I would NOT go over the old shingles. Strip them to the deck, apply new tar paper, and or plastic if you wish, and screw them down with neoprene washer screws (or use the neoprene washer nails, if you prefer). Myself, I prefer the nails, and use a 16D common nail to start the holes where the tin overlaps. If you go over shingles, you will end up with lumps in the tin. Be sure to use the proper edging and falshing sold for the tin you use. The common galvanized or colored barn steel is all you need, or you can go with the much more costly modern steel roofing.

Reply to
maradcliff

Well, I can't help with the metal roof (by the way, are you talking about proper standing seam metal roof, or the cheap wavy stuff usually used on sheds?)

But a 4/12 pitch is just fine for shingles. Most are rated down to 3/12 and can go to 2/12 with proper underlayment, either half overlap felt or self-adhesive ice guard.

If you want to stick to shingles, put ice guard over the entire roof. Its a small roof and won't cost much. Then use your shingle of choice.

Dennis

Reply to
DT

What is ice guard, please ??

--------------------------------------

If you want to stick to shingles, put ice guard over the entire roof. Its a small roof and won't cost much. Then use your shingle of choice.

Dennis

Reply to
James

James Feb 6, 6:51 pm show options

Newsgroups: alt.home.repair From: "James" - Find messages by this author

What is ice guard, please ??

fasteners but has a backing that is peeled off revealing a super sticky surface that sticks to the roof deck like glue. It is usually only used for the first coarse or two before regular tar paper is used. It can, however, be used on th entire roof if the added expense is justifiable. It is an incredibly protective material and is also being used to flash window openings and the like.

Reply to
Lawrence

Thanks Lawrence, on ice guard info...............

--James--

Reply to
James

Yes I think a 4 pitch roof would be fine for shingles. Especially if it is straight and does not have a lot of hips and valleys and pipes going through it.

A metal roof would certainly last a long time.

But you could also try asphalt rolled roofing, I think you can get 15 year warranty on it now. I have a cape, and put 2 BRs and a bath in the attic. The back of the roof got ripped off and I built a shed dormer. Now the roof has a 2 pitch. I used asphalt rolled roofing, it came out excellent (3 years so far). It came in a 36 inch by 50 foot roll. There were 2 layers, the first was a rubber like membrane (similar to ice/water shield). The second was the rolled roofing. I could post pictures of it soon, if you like.

Reply to
ajdecker3

couple companies in this search for you:

a great co.

NatlHomeServices