I need to replace an AC adapter

Page 1 of 2
I need to replace an AC adapter that went out. Original is 12V 225mA. I have several 12V 1000mA. Any problem using 1000mA rated unti with 225mA machine?

No. It just means it can deliver more power than that device needs.

The device will draw a max of 225mA, so it does not matter if the new charger can deliver 1000mA, in fact the second adaptor will last longer due to the lower current draw.
--
PV

"If Inflammable means more flammable, then what does incompetent mean?'

an AC adapter:

+1

I'll repeat in this group. If it's unregulated, it will have higher output voltage. Sometimes a problem.
Greg
Guv Bob wrote:

Hi,
Bo problem for sure. It may last longer.
Thanks, fellers! Saved me a trip and some pocket change!
Bob
I need to replace an AC adapter that went out. Original is 12V 225mA. I have several 12V 1000mA. Any problem using 1000mA rated unti with 225mA machine?
On 7/23/2012 12:06 PM, Guv Bob wrote:

Possible, a lot of cheaply designed consumer devices depend on using the components used in the design. Their design might have depended on the voltage drop of a just marginal transformer.
The numbers you mention, would those be input, or output? Since you call it "AC adapter", would the input be 110 VAC?
If those are output numbers, having more amps available will not hurt your device.
I need to replace an AC adapter that went out. Original is 12V 225mA. I have several 12V 1000mA. Any problem using 1000mA rated unti with 225mA machine?
I need to replace an AC adapter that went out. Original is 12V 225mA. I have several 12V 1000mA. Any problem using 1000mA rated unti with 225mA machine?
Is the original AC or DC out put? Same for the replacements. You did not mention the make/model of the device powered. While it's unlikely to make a difference that too may have an impact on the answer.
Last if DC the polity to the center pin can be + or - get it wrong and you've burned up the device.

Or it just won't run - depending on the circuitry.
On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 09:06:26 -0700, "Guv Bob"
Absolutely no problem as long as it has the right plug. The 2000ma units are almost all REGULATED switchers, so do not have overvoltage problems like were sometimes experienced with using oversized transformer type adapters.
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/i-need-to-replace-an-ac-adapter-706107-.htm DA wrote: Guv Bob wrote:

It's more important to check what kind of input voltage the machine expects, AC, DC rectified only or DC regulated. The new adapter should provide the same type and DC regulated supply can be plugged into DC rectified but not the other way around.
Are the new adapters 120VAC-12VAC or 120VAC-12VDC? Rectified or regulated DC? If it's anything other than regulated 120VAC-12VDC, then its output voltage is likely to be higher than 12V when underloaded. It's anyone's guess what it will be but I think it will be anywhere between 15V and 18V.
If it's 120VAC-12VDC regulated, it's going to run less efficient at only 1/4rd of max but that's a minuscule difference.
Anyhow, apart from AC-AC vs. AC-DC mismatch, none of this will probably be a big deal, especially is the device isn't looking for regulated 12VDC supply.
------------------------------------- /\_/\ ((@v@)) NIGHT ():::() OWL VV-VV

http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/i-need-to-replace-an-ac-adapter-706107-.htm

You might have forgot to mention, there is rectified dc output without filtering, as this depends on the device to have it's own filter capacitors. I have seen this.
Greg

A universal voltage wall wart will take care of that, too.
Inline fuse is a good idea. What's a fuze, though?

Just include a fuze of about 300-500ma, and enjoy the result.
On 07/23/2012 04:03 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

IIRC it's a flammable string they used to use to set off dynamite.
[snip]
On 07/23/12 12:06 pm, Guv Bob wrote:

1. It depends how good the regulation of the new one is: if the current draw is significantly less than the 1000mA rated capacity, the voltage may be significantly higher than 12v.
2. Be sure to check that the polarity is the same as the original: most have the center contact as +ve, but the occasional one has the center contact as -ve.
Perce
On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 17:42:29 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

Just use a "modern" switching wall wart. You can tell by the "universal" voltage (120/204 50/60Hz).

Yep, but CPN is rather rare these days. I haven't seen one in years.

How do you know if it's a radio device that doesn't like switching supplies ?
Where's Guv.
Greg