AC adapter

I've bought a garage door sensor from the US which has, as expected, come with a 110v AC/DC adapter. Input is shown as 120v - 60Hz - 0.06A and output as 12v - 100mA on a 3.5mm centre positive plug.

Can anyone point me to a suitable UK adapter? Lack of knowledge in this area leads me to be wary about buying something which just 'appears' to be OK.

There area range here

for your application the smallest/cheapest will suffice.

Reply to
news

Amazon (and many other places) sell a slew of suitable 12V "universal" supplies.

Reply to
Huge

Thanks. I hadn't thought of an adapter for the adapter...

Thanks. I was wary of the universals as I had bought one previously (a long time ago) and it popped on first use!

Contrariwise, one has been running the wireless AP in my loft for so many years I can't remember how long it's been there! :o)

Reply to
Huge

100mA is about as small as they come so most 12v ones would be suitable. Assuming the correct plug etc. Universal types? Normally 300 mA.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Presumably 3.5mm is the outside diameter of the plug, if so it's a 1.3mm connector as the external diameter of the centre pin is how the connectors are described. Fixed output adaptors with prewired connectors at this size are a bit thin on the ground, but ones with interchangeable tips aren't.

Try

Third connector down looks to be a 1.3mm one.

Free postage

Reply to
The Other Mike

I wouldn't do that for something you want to run 24/7. You can buy cheap and efficient 12v 100mA switch mode adapters from eBay or Maplin or if you are lucky find one in a drawer that used to power a scanner or similar. If you can find a 110v shaver socket plug in the cheap and nasty US PSU and measure the open circuit voltage my guess is ~18v.

Does a bit more than you need and might need the switch taping down in the right place if you have children around who might play with it.

You could probably find a cheaper fixed voltage one on fleabay.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I don;t think this is corect as there are standard sizes for jack connectors. being 2.5mm, 3.5mm and 6.35mm (formally know as 1/4 inch jacks).

Note the above are jack connectors,

these are somtimes used for power supplies.

But more commonly Barrel connectors are used these come in 1.3mm 2.1mm and 2.5mm

True, this one should be OK as you only need a couple of watts

cheaper ones are avaible but only have the barrel type connectors I guss you could change that if you wanted.

Reply to
whisky-dave

The OP said "centre positive plug" and not tip or ring or sleeve

The psu I linked to also has 2.5mm and 3.5mm adapters although it's decades since I've seen them used for power connectors.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Provided it is not too bothered by ripple of course. Maplin had some around this spec last time I was there, but most were analogue, which in the long run might well be fine I suppose. I'm on the look out for one of these that is 13.8v regulated, 500Ma at the moment for an old scanner i have found. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Having said all that though if you use a step down transformer as originally suggested, provided its well over the current rating it should be fine as long as its kept dry and out of the way. I used to have one for a TV that ran on 117, and it never gave any trouble but did buzza bit on power up.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If it *is* 13.8 volts you need, then one of the replacements for a car cigarette lighter socket should do the job, They come in sizes from about a quarter of an amp up to twenty amps.

Reply to
John Williamson

It's the same kind of plug as in the image at the top of

and the outside diameter is 3.5mm.

Any 12v dc adaptor should be fine if it has the right plug & polarity, AND is regulated. Avoid the common unregulated ones, at 12v spec they may produce 18 or 19v on such a light load.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

'kin hell yet another bleeding 'standard'

3.5/1.45 3.5/1.1 and 3.5/1 as well as the long existing 3.5/1.3 (as used on the Sony Walkmans 30+ years ago)

You need to get an accurate measurement of that central pin

Reply to
The Other Mike