Replace dual AC Capacitor with 2 single cap's

Yes. Done it myself.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Re: Replace dual AC Capacitor with 2 single cap's (apologies if you've seen this elsewhere)

Greetings,

I have a GE dual (fan and compressor) capacitor # 97F5360 from a 2-ton Carrier 'round one' circa 1984. It has evidently failed. The Condensing Unit is getting lo-voltage current, but neither the fan nor the compressor will even click.

The specs on the cap. are 25/5 mfd, 440v. Evidently it is not practical to find a replacement part.

I'm told that it should be practical to wire 2 cap's to replace the 'dual': a 25 mfd for the compressor, and a 5 mfd for the fan.

The 3 terminals on the old 'dual' were wired as follows:

Terminal Post Color(size) ________ ____ ______________ Fan 1 brown(skinny) Common 1 black(skinny) Common 2 yellow(fat) Common 3 yellow(skinny) and brown(skinny) Common 4 yellow(fat) Compressor(HERM) 1 blue(skinny) Compressor(HERM) 2 blue(skinny)

A "Fine, Fine Feller" advised as follows:

"All you need to do is take the wire off F and put it on the smaller cap then take the wire of H and put it on the larger cap. Put the remaining wires from C on the open terminal on either cap and run a jumper from that terminal to the other empty terminal and its done."

There are 4 wires on the 4 posts of the old Common, and only

4 posts per terminal, so it's not practical to wires all 4 + a jumper to the Common of either of the new cap's. So perhaps I just wire, say, 2 to each new Common and add the jumper. Could look like:

Cap. Terminal Post Color(size) _____ ________ ____ ______________

5 mfd Fan 1 brown(skinny) 5 mfd Common 1 black(skinny) 5 mfd Common 2 yellow(fat) 5 mfd Common 3 JUMPER(fat) 25 mfd Common 1 yellow(skinny) and brown(skinny) 25 mfd Common 2 yellow(fat) 25 mfd Common 3 JUMPER(fat) 25 mfd Compressor(HERM) 1 blue(skinny) 25 mfd Compressor(HERM) 2 blue(skinny)

I have found a source for the new cap's. It looks like I have room to mount them in the unit.

Does this look 100% practical? Any/all advise, etc much appreciated.

Thanks, Puddin'

Reply to
Puddin' Man

"Puddin' Man" wrote

Not trying to be smart, but do you have high voltage? On BOTH sides of the contactor (when the contactor is pulled in)?

I have a couple out in my truck.

That'll work. Have had to do it many-a-time when I didn't have one on my truck. Just make sure that the capacitors are secure in the cabinet and that the terminals are not touching anything.

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Hmmmm. The little spring-loaded contactor in the middle of the control box of the Condensing Unit? I set the Tstat for cool, the furnace fan starts, I run out to the CU, the little spring-loaded contactor is frozen. When I try to push it in it just hums, won't budge. Pushes in easily when power is shut down.

Maybe it's not the cap.?

The Install Notes say when "Contactor is Open", maybe burned out transformer. Forgive my ignaorance, what does the transformer look like?

Grainger evidently doesn't have any (I called). I dunno why.

Good enough.

Much Thanks, Puddin'

Reply to
Puddin' Man

Hmmmm. The little spring-loaded contactor in the middle of the control box of the Condensing Unit? I set the Tstat for cool, the furnace fan starts, I run out to the CU, the little spring-loaded contactor is frozen. When I try to push it in it just hums, won't budge. Pushes in easily when power is shut down.

Maybe it's not the cap.? CY: Wow, I am sensing that you're not really familiar with AC systems. When the system calls for cooling, it's supposed to energize the coil of the contactor, and pull the switch in. So, the "won't budge" should be pulled in. Which completes the circuit. That's what it's supposed to do.

The Install Notes say when "Contactor is Open", maybe burned out transformer. Forgive my ignaorance, what does the transformer look like? CY: Open is the relaxed mode of the contactor. When it's pulled in, that's closed. Transformer will be in the furnace, or air handler. Tranformer is square, and has four wires.

Grainger evidently doesn't have any (I called). I dunno why. CY: Try an AC parts house, or Froogle.

Good enough. CY: Safety is important.

Much Thanks, Puddin'

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It's true, I admit it readily.

Contractor did most of the work 21 years ago, but I wired it. 'Course there wasn't much to it: string proper rated wire, match color codes, wirenut, etc. I don't even 'member ...

And it's what it's -not- doing ...

Tranformer just converts 120v to 24v.? Unit hums/buzzes, so it's getting 24v. to the Condense Unit. Right? So it doesn't look like a Tranformer problem?

Thanks. It looks interesting. I'd have to rig a different strap, but ...

Having drawn a few amperes fiddling the cap, I wholeheartedly agree. :-)

Thx, Puddin'

Reply to
Puddin' Man