How to attach rack to the studs

I have a metal rack that is 24" wide and 48" tall, it is a metal modular rack with various attachments - hooks, shelves, knobs etc...and has four attachment holes on the vertical edges of the frame. Ideally I would like to attach drill four screws through the holes into the wall studs. But of course the studs are 16" apart, and I can't even position it such that one side of the frame will match up with the frame because I like to center it and align it with a door adjacent to it such that when the door is fully opened it will cover up the rack on the wall.

I can use toggle bolts but I don't think the drywall will have enough strength. I thought about cutting two pieces of wood and mount it horizontally into the studs above and below, and then screw two vertical pieces to them to form a frame, but this will not be symmetrical.

Any idea?

orangetrader

I was with you until you screwed the vertical pieces to the horizontal ones. What are these for? Just screw the two horizontal pieces across two studs, then mount your rack to them. I assume your rack has two holes at the top and two at the bottom? Space your horizontal pieces so they are as far apart as the holes and you should be set.

At 24" wide your pieces may not be centered over the studs, but you'll still get screws into two studs if they the studs are 16 o.c.

Reply to
mwlogs

The optimum position would be for the rack to center over one of the studs, so from there, 12" each way I cannot reach two studs. I can only screw into one stud so the horizontal pieces will not be too secured. Not sure if I am making sense.

orangetrader
  1. Install blocking between studs. That's probably too much disruption.
  2. Attach two horizontal members to the face of the wall. They can be attached to the studs and give anchorage for the rack.
  3. Rabet four boards and build your frame. That would allow attachment to studs or plenty of surface to attach to the gyp bd. TB
Reply to
tbasc

The toggle bolts - in your configuration - will hold several hundred pounds.

Reply to
HeyBub

How about mounting the rack to a 24x48 sheet of 3/4" birch or hardwood plywood? Add some banding or picture frame moulding around the plywood edge and stain/paint it. Then you can fasten the plywood wherever you want, guaranteed to hit at least one stud.

Steve Manes Brooklyn, NY

Steve Manes

Could you extend the horiztonal pieces to 32" in length, so that they can go into three studs, and then attach the rack to them? Not sure if that would look OK.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

Close,

Cut a piece of plywood, the size of the unit or bigger as needed. Install where you want it. Strongly secure where the ply happens to cross the studs. Secure the unit to the plywood.

Depending on the problem your trying to solve, anything from 1/4" up to

13 ply 3/4" Baltic Birch plywood can be used, a nice plywood could be stained and finished.
Reply to
John Hines

PLEASE DON'T TOP-POST - it makes it hard to follow the thread.

In answer to your concern, you could just extend the horizontal rails beyond the width of the rack so that they cut across 2 or more studs (and are centered on the rack if that is needed for appearances)

Reply to
blueman

I am sorry, I think my description was inadequat for you all to visualize this.

I would like the rack to be fastened exactly two inches from the corner of that wall. The reason is that there is a 28" door on the other side of the corner which when I open that door and swing it around the corner it will just cover the rack completely.

Two inches from the corner. Measure 24" will make the other side of the rack 26" from the corner.

There is a stud at 16" from the corner, than another one at 32". Therefore, if I make a horizonatal piece of wood member 24" wide to match the rack, it will only cover the first stud at 16" from the corner. The next stud will be 32" from the corner, 6" beyond the end of the rack. Only one stud will be crossed.

Now, what if I extend the wood to 32"? That means the rack when fastened will have 6" sticking out on the right and 2" sticking out on the left side. Not good. I cannot even find the stud on the left side.

This will be the same problem whether I use plywood or wood strips. I cannot figure out a way to cross two studs and yet still mount the rack symmetrical with the door.

orangetrader

What about the one where the wall corner is? the rack sitting a few inches away from that one. (I think)

Plywood is better than individual boards, since it distributes the load vertically, like if it is screwed in top and bottom.

Is the load that heavy that lag bolting a piece of wood on to it, isn't enough? Wouldn't that, along with a couple of butterfly (? the ones that spread out behind drywall) anchors hold the board, which will distribute the load spreading the load out over multiple anchors, and a bigger area of drywall.

Otherwise

Replace the drywall with plywood. re assemble and repaint.

Install additional studs and bracing as needed.

Build the cabinet in.

Reply to
John Hines

So it's only attached to one stud. That's the advantage of using a

24x48 sheet of plywood. You'll drive several screws vertically through the plywood and into that one stud. Unless you're going to be hanging several hundred pounds on that rack this will suffice.

Steve Manes Brooklyn, NY

Steve Manes