cabinet install- plastic screw anchor Question

Hello all,

I bought some wall cabinets for the bathroom and when I checked for the wall studs matching the holes, there was only one wall stud that my studfinder could detect! I don't think there is anything wrong with the finder, as I have two and they both read exactly the same.

Anyway, the cabinets have two holes, (horizontal) on the upper and lower part of the cabinet. The holes on the cabinets are 13 inches apart.

I know I can install the anchors on the one stud (which will cover one side, but will that be enough with the other two anchors in the drywall only? Also, I am uncertain if what I have is the proper instalation instuctions for a plastic screw anchor, could someone read this and confirm this is correct?

Instructions:

Caution: Oversized holes will make it difficult to set the anchor and will reduce the anchor's load capacity. a.. Drill a hole in the base material using the appropriate diameter carbide drill bit as specified in the table. Drill the hole to the specified embedment depth plus 1/2" to allow room for the dust to settle. For flush mount applications the hole should be drilled an additional 1/8" deeper. Alternatively, drill the hole to the specified embedment depth and blow it clean using compressed air. Overhead installations need not be blown clean. b.. Insert anchor into hole. Tap with hammer until flush with surface of base material. c.. Position fixture; insert screw and tighten.

Again, if one set of anchors is in the stud and the other is not, will I be safe to put up this bathroom cabinet?

The measurements are: 31H x 21W x 63/4D. Empty, I am guessing it about 10 pounds.

Thanks in advance.

begin 666 caut_35.gif M1TE&.#EA(P`C`+,``/\:`/\S'/]@3O^,?O^SJO_%O_+HY____ZNKJY"0D(" M@'!P0Y-"!&:@>C 3:46#C])IN>_P@^;1*\?-&KH&#A:(TU0CE[>%$*

Reply to
KJ

OK, my 'finder' checks for pipes too, and according to it, there was none, but I will drill slow if I drill in that spot.

OK.

I will check for 'expandable toggles' tomorrow. I may just avoid using the stud altogether and get 4 expandable toggles for the 4 screw holes and call it a day.

Thanks again.

God bless, KJ

Reply to
KJ

Just wanted to correct this. I was initially using my 'finder' wrong. I rechecked it (properly) and turns out, the finder IS showing a piece of metal behind the wall near where I marked off for one of the holes. Thank God I decided to wait for some answers before I drilled.

Thanks again for suggestion, I almost made a HUGE mistake!

God bless, KJ

Reply to
KJ

I would Slowly drill the stud to be sure it isnt a pipe you found. A stud wont need anchors, I never used them. The missing stud area use an expandable toggle , but use several extra screws on the stud , there is your only strength.

Reply to
m Ransley