How do you drill through stainless steel at home?

Page 2 of 6
On Sat, 9 Mar 2013 01:25:53 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

Personally, i like both leather and SS. If you get a machinist to mill in three 1/4 inch wide hex portions and wrap with wide spaced wet leather strips it not only would work but be beautiful and last a decade or more. Then just remove the old leather, clean thoroughly and do the leather again.
?-)
Check out this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=Z5WZqYl_aZ8&feature=endscreen

Of course, that's a $100,000 machine.
But it's designed for efficient production. You could build your own cheaply and operate it manually. It would be a fun project.
On Fri, 8 Mar 2013 17:28:53 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

I have some Cable Hangers..which are a finger trap secured to a 1/2" conduit threaded connector. For hanging drops from the center hole of a blank 4x box cover. Might be easily converted to this use. They finger trap is made from steel cable (not stainless unfortunately)
Gunner
On 3/10/2013 2:20 AM, Gunner wrote:

You may be thinking of Kellem Grips. I've used them for years to pull wire through conduit or installed them as cord grips. The things work like Chinese Finger Puzzles. ^_^
http://www.jharlen.com/hubbel033041092.html
TDD
On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 05:13:43 -0600, The Daring Dufas

Those I have several sizes of. The overhead cable thingies are of the same type, with a threaded bit of pipe nipple attached .
Want a photo?
Gunner
On 3/10/2013 12:38 PM, Gunner wrote:

I was selling the stuff 40 years ago when I worked for an electrical supply company. I used one a while back to fix a problem for a pizza place where the kept ripping the outlet out of the wall for their prep table every time they moved it to clean the floor. I removed the outlet and installed an hospital grade cord body with a pigtail of 12/3 SO cord anchored to the wall with a Kellem Grip which would allow the plug to simply pull straight out of the cord body without damage. I also use the grips to hang power cords from the ceiling in the middle of shop floors. ^_^
TDD
On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 19:48:52 -0600, The Daring Dufas

Good man, then you have seen them before. Thanks for letting me know what they are called. I always called them Finger Puzzle cable grips and the guys at the will call desk knew what I was talking about.
Gunner
On 3/10/2013 8:10 PM, Gunner wrote:

You can use them as a come along for prisoners too by slipping them over their fingers or thumbs. ^_^
TDD

More:
7. Wood handle. Find a suitable block of wood or wood pot handle. Drill, route, bore, or auger a 1/2" hole down the center and a 1/4" hole out the back end. Drop in a 1/4-20 nut. Slop some glue (RTV?) over the 1/2" handle and slide the block of wood over the handle. Screw an eye hook to the 1/4-20 nut.
8. Vinyl cap plug. <http://www.echosupply.com/finishing-supplies-products.aspx?ID7 Drill 1/8" hole in tip of cap plug. Insert nylon cord through hole. Add a washer for support. Tie a knot so that the cord doesn't slip. Shove cap plug over 1/2" handle. Done.
9. Concrete mold. Make a wooden form for pouring concrete. Slide 1/2" handle through a hole in one end. Insert a plug that will eventually be a hole for hanging. Add concrete. Let harden. Remove plug.
10. Acrylic mold. Same above except using acrylic resin.
11. Shaft extender. Find a piece of steel (not aluminum or copper) tubing with 1/2" ID. Cut to length. Pound over 1/2" handle. If you can't get an interference fit, add glue.
On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 15:17:01 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I like that idea best!
I can easily find a piece to fit, and it would look nice too!
I'd have to varnish it (it's going to hang outdoors, but then, I can at least DRILL the hole in the wood!).
That's the best idea of all!

Aren't you worried about voiding the warranty?
On 3/7/2013 3:46 PM, Danny D. wrote:

I had to drill some stainless steel so I purchased a small set of Cobalt Silver & Deming Drill Bits and used Tap Magic cutting fluid. I've had to drill all sorts of stainless steel when servicing restaurant equipment. ^_^
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
http://www.tapmagic.com/
TDD
On Thursday, March 7, 2013 1:46:00 PM UTC-8, Danny D. wrote:

Experience....
Opener already has a hole in it...use it.
On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 17:03:12 -0800, DD_BobK wrote:

The hole is in the business end, so you can't use it.
What are the odd the opener will be in use, and hanging on the wall (use for the other hole) at the same time?
On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 17:03:12 -0800, DD_BobK wrote:

The hole is in the business end, so you can't use it.
On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 14:20:20 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Oh, I forgot to mention the kids!
If I just hank the opener on a hook, it will never be there, trust, me, after just one pool party!
Like the hole punch in my office is cabled to the wall, if I don't "string" it to the BBQ, it will not be put back on a hook by the teens!

Then your original description of the desired outcome was incomplete / inaccurate. :(
You do not want to merely "hang the opener". You want it to be available for use AND you want to make sure it doesn't "leave". A different set of constraints.
Sounds like you need a lanyard system or a system to "train" the kids.
You have an amazing ability to complicate the simplest tasks and cause threads last a very long time.
I can only wonder what the next "hidden constraint" might be.
On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 15:33:53 -0800 DD_BobK wrote:

Heh heh ... you never did like me! :)

DDD-
It's not that I don't like you. It's the fact you're an idiot & you waste people's time. :(
More money than brains.... an excellent example of the sad state of affairs in America. How's the oak firewood & poison oak doing?
We're all wondering what will be the next specification to meet, on this project. Went from "hang on a nail" to "tethered to prevent loss".
The future modification should withstand 1000 degrees F, in case the kids put the opener in the gas grill, to cook off the tether.