How do you drill through stainless steel at home?

Been there, done that, but only once. I think it was about 1966. I was doing something useless in a Cal Poly Pomona dormitory, when someone from the state forestry service arrived asking for volunteers to fight a fire. This was in the days when it was fashionable to empty the colleges, instead of the jails, to fight forest fires. We were soon on our way to do battle with a brush fire burning in the bottom of the San Gabriel River (now known as the 605 freeway) near El Monte. It's not every day that a dry river catches fire, and I wanted to be part of the experience. Our job was mostly to haul cut brush away from the river banks, so the adjacent houses would not burn. The bulldozers just couldn't work among the rubble on the river bottom. There were no fatalities or major injuries. We did loose a few due to exhaustion from being out of shape and not drinking enough water. We were at it for about 12 hrs, with erratic breaks, until another motley load of student arrived to relieve us.

True. I haven't worked much with explosives, but I came close. Pollack-Benedict(?) construction was building the Simi Valley freeway between the north end of the San Fernando Valley and Simi Valley. The connecting pass was plagued with large granite boulders, typically about the size of a large 2 story house. This was too much for the earth movers, so blasting contractor was hired to break them apart. Everyone assumed that during blasting, that the 2 lane highway, next to where the freeway was being built, could be closed to traffic. Nope. In provide the illusion of safety, some traffic control was needed. What better use for expendable students.

A desperate call was made to San Fernando Valley State College (now known as Cal State University, Northridge) for anyone with RF experience. Of course all the ham radio operators immediately responded. 4 of us were hired to direct traffic, but more importantly, to yell at anyone with a 2-way radio in their vehicle to turn it off or risk having their transmitter cause a premature explosion. Signs highlighting the danger of radio transmissions in the area were installed at key locations, and generally ignored. It seemed that the local public service, public safety, and VIP drivers didn't really like the idea of driving for about 20 minutes without their radio. I had to settle for having them unscrew their microphones or promise not to transmit until clear of the area. There were no explosions, but I was genuinely concerned. Many years later, I discovered that a radio was unlikely to cause a blasting cap to explode, but at the time, it was generally accepted that it was possible.

I have no idea. Googling for "exploding corset" yields only one possibility:

My father's factory (Tosca Lingerie) did not make corsets. It made womens night wear, commonly known as lingerie.

However, I did work for a company that made corsets, which were designed to contain an exploding waistline. I got a summer job in shipping and receiving at Foundation Garments in Smog Angeles. The bulk of their sales were male girdles offered for sale in the military PX stores. At the time, the military was downsizing well after the Korean War, and was using every excuse possible to retire overweight and out of shape officers. The only quick solution was to redistribute the flab with a male girdle. My employment was uneventful, although I did obtain a new proficiency with profanity, that has remained with me to this day.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Oh, that's got to hurt. my posts won't appear on one computer, in one building, in one town? I'm going to cry all night.

Did you ask if I was being mean spirited? No..... just made your own conclusions.

.

Good morning Mr. Young. Just thought I'd let you know this mean spirited posting finally got to me and you are back on ignore.

Learn more about Jesus indeed. I think I've learned enough.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reply to
SpamƁuster

Mine was on the Ft. Greely reserve, in the Buffalo Drop zone. I had just finished 40 hours on duty in two days when I was dragged out of bed and told I had volunteered to fight a fire cased by two idiot officers who shot at a rabbit whit a M16, and hit the rock it was sitting on. It ricochet and hit the gas tank on the tactilely equipped jeep they had taken from the motor pool and it exploded. Hundreds of acres of heavy forest were on fire, and we were to dig a fire break by hand. They lost the tanker in heavy smoke, and had to bring another truckload of water. A helicopter was dropping water on the flames, but the smoke was so thick you could only see about eight feet most of the time.

I saw a lot of those signs when we made a trip to Florida in '66. They were building I-75, and very few sections were open for any real distance. A lot of time was spent on US 27 and various old roads to get from one section to the next. Often we were diverted from open sections because of blasting.

OTOH, and uncle owned a huge quarry in Kentucky, and they had several blasters on their staff to blow away the sides of the cliffs into the quarry. He sold the crushed rock to the state to build the interstate system in Kentucky.

No corsets in the PX, but the one on Alaska sold tights with a fly as lightweight thermal underwear in cotton & Nylon. The box had a drawing of a postman in shorts wearing them. When it was below -40, you wore them with the regular thermals to keep from losing your legs to frostbite. The damn things had a seam up the insides of the legs that could rub you raw. I figured out really fast why the nylon (without the seams) was never in stock. :(

They gave some guys 90 days to lose up to 50 pounds in '74. No healthy way to do that, in such as short time frame. One of the 'broadcasters' (AKA: A 'Talking Head'/DJ) got written orders to lose weight, or take a dishonorable discharge.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Id hit it with a TIG welder and put a stainless washer on the butt end. That way you can use any size washer with a big hole in it.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Thanks!! Excellent method!!

Saved!

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Want one? I run across at least 1 a year. I sent one off last year to be scrapped. Ran fine, nobody wanted it.

  1. Lie
Gunner

I have some Cable Hangers..which are a finger trap secured to a 1/2" conduit threaded connector. For hanging drops from the center hole of a blank 4x box cover. Might be easily converted to this use. They finger trap is made from steel cable (not stainless unfortunately)

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Plus, start with a small drill and work progressively upwards to the size you want.

Reply to
harry

You may be thinking of Kellem Grips. I've used them for years to pull wire through conduit or installed them as cord grips. The things work like Chinese Finger Puzzles. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

It wasn't managed by a man named Scarpia, was it?

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

No. My father (Maurice Liebermann) and his partner (Israel Drier) ran the factory. There was no general manager. When the business was sold in about 1987, it was purchased by Dave (I forgot his last name), who hired his son in law, Jim Greenspan, as general manager. At its height, in about 1985, we had about 100 employees scattered among 3 buildings. There's currently a retail store at the same location, that has recycled the name as "Tosca Lingerie II".

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Those I have several sizes of. The overhead cable thingies are of the same type, with a threaded bit of pipe nipple attached .

Want a photo?

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

I was selling the stuff 40 years ago when I worked for an electrical supply company. I used one a while back to fix a problem for a pizza place where the kept ripping the outlet out of the wall for their prep table every time they moved it to clean the floor. I removed the outlet and installed an hospital grade cord body with a pigtail of 12/3 SO cord anchored to the wall with a Kellem Grip which would allow the plug to simply pull straight out of the cord body without damage. I also use the grips to hang power cords from the ceiling in the middle of shop floors. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Good man, then you have seen them before. Thanks for letting me know what they are called. I always called them Finger Puzzle cable grips and the guys at the will call desk knew what I was talking about.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

If there's no TIG handy, there's always JB Weld. I use brazing filler rod for making rings for such things, the local Ace has welded brass and steel rings in a variety of sizes in the misc. hardware aisle. Or, if you gotta have heat involved, silver braze will work. Kind of overkill for a fancy church key.

Post said "can opener" and I'm thinking some variety of Swing-Away, not a church key. Does anything drinkable still come in steel cans that need puncturing? Tomato juice and V8 are all I can think of and those would be the big cans, not individual serving sizes.

Stan

Reply to
Stanley Schaefer

You can use them as a come along for prisoners too by slipping them over their fingers or thumbs. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Try tungsten, if you like challenges.

Reply to
croy

Personally, i like both leather and SS. If you get a machinist to mill in three 1/4 inch wide hex portions and wrap with wide spaced wet leather strips it not only would work but be beautiful and last a decade or more. Then just remove the old leather, clean thoroughly and do the leather again.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Check out this video.

Of course, that's a $100,000 machine.

But it's designed for efficient production. You could build your own cheaply and operate it manually. It would be a fun project.

Reply to
TimR