Honda Generators

Page 5 of 5
Atila Iskander wrote:

Sounds like the guys who sell Thermal Imagers in the fire service. They will take a unit and bounce it off a concrete floor or throw it around to demonstrate how much they can take. One rep had that fail at our station though. He brought in the units and started his demonstration. He would then pass the unit around to show how the functions worked. When it came to the tossing part he did his thing and handed me the camera. OOPS! the screen had a big blank spot where part of the sensor or screen failed!!!
--
Steve W.

Steve W. wrote:

Symbol industrial PDAs. They had to pass IIRC a test involving multiple drops from at least 1 meter onto concrete. While indirectly working for IBM it was mentioned what hadn't been factored in was the courier driver 3m horizontal toss into the back of the van which managed to break many things regardless of the ruggedisation.

I haved a Casio whose Casio-branded ORIGINAL BATTERIES lasted 20 years and several math classes.
jsw
Did you charge them off your Honda generator?
I haved a Casio whose Casio-branded ORIGINAL BATTERIES lasted 20 years and several math classes.
jsw

My cheap little generator is very quiet, without load. !!!
I have not used it much, but when new, the rope broke very quickly for some reason. Works now. My big generator is like most. How do they expect you to fill tank when cap is in middle. It's impossible to fill with regular portable tank and spout. I need a longer spout.
Greg
On Fri, 3 Aug 2012 02:22:44 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@rendersafe.home wrote:

Any idea if that impacts efficiency ? An effective muffler usually hurts horsepower per gallon/hr.
Winston_Smith wrote:

A properly designed exhaust will help the engine run cooler and quieter, with no loss of power (actually if properly designed and built it can increase power). That said 75% of the small engines out there run "mufflers" that are no where close to effective for noise reduction. They barely keep the engines under the legal noise limits. Honda doesn't seem to do that, they usually have well designed systems that keep them quieter. So does Onan on their generators.
As for quieting down the others an easy way is to simply remove the factory unit and plumb in a turbo style automotive muffler.
--
Steve W.

You can hear their exhaust, which is about as loud as a Honda car's, but not the usual mechanical noise of an air-cooled engine. Directing the exhaust of my genny down a long tube of fiberglass pipe insulation has relatively little effect on the noise level.
jsw
Fiberglass wrapped muffler from a small car?
You can hear their exhaust, which is about as loud as a Honda car's, but not the usual mechanical noise of an air-cooled engine. Directing the exhaust of my genny down a long tube of fiberglass pipe insulation has relatively little effect on the noise level.
jsw

Generators shake enough to destroy a rigid connection to a muffler, or maybe pull the studs out of the aluminum heads if you add much weight. I simply pushed the pipe insulation against the exhaust opening to see if a car muffler and flex pipe would be worth buying, and decided not to. AFAICT the exhaust is substantially less than the mechanical noise.
The engine on my lawnmower doesn't shake, so I replaced the rusted-out muffler with stainless flex hose and a larger muffler. Most of its remaining sound is mechanical, the putt-putt is muted. It's a cast-iron B&S from the 1950's and considerably quieter than modern aluminum engines.
jsw
On 04/08/12 08:47, Jim Wilkins wrote:

Thanks for that info. I have a simlar beastie that needs a new muffler after a major carb overhaul.
On 8/3/2012 6:47 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

auto parts place and bought the smallest car muffler. I installed it mounting it to the roll cage with one hanger and fitted some iron pipe to the exhaust output of the engine. The somewhat loose mechanical mounting gave some wiggle room. As to noise, it reduced the noise a whole bunch. When my son 1st heard it he asked what good the muffler was doing. I replied that without the muffler we couldn't carry on a conversation unless we were yelling into each others ears. So, yes it helped.

I bought a 2" to 1-1/4" pipe reducer, a 1-1/4" nipple that the fiberglass insulation sleeve slides over, and a thread-mount pipe hanger and made a crude stand that holds the 2" funnel opening of the free-standing muffler next to but not touching the exhaust outlet. It's almost as effective as pressing the insulation against the muffler and adds no bulk to the generator, plus it works on my other stationary small engines.
jsw