Home Depot return policy w/out receipt

Page 2 of 3

You guys are too good. I would have said no dice and risked losing a customer. I overbuy a lot on projects, mainly to save me a trip of 35 miles when I need one or two more widgets to finish. Unopened, or just like they were when I took them home. That's reasonable. Someone bringing back a ladder with paint on it, and a manager taking it back are both VERY UNreasonable.
Steve

If HD had a blacklist, I'd be on it. I always overbuy for projects and return what I don't need. I typically don't even bother with receipts, store credit is fine with me.
I will tell that they do indeed keep track, at least in the short-term and on a inter-store basis.
After cleaning up my shop, I had tons of plumbing fittings from various jobs. I didn't know which were HD's and which were Lowes, so I took them all into HD and they gave me credit for what their computer recognized and handed me back anything it didn't. All smiles, no hassle.
I went back to my van and found a few more HD fittings that had rolled onto the floor. Instead of going back and troubling the nice folks at the same HD, I knew I would pass another one on my way home, so I decided to stop there instead. When I tried to return the items, the cashier said she needed management approval.
When the manager came over, she looked at the screen and then approved the return. I asked "Did it flag the fact that I just returned a bunch of stuff at another HD about 15 minutes ago?" and she said "Yes, but it's no problem."
Big brother is indeed watching!

I can't count the number of times I have returned stuff to HD without a receipt. I always buy more than I think I'll need, and return the unused stuff after I'm done. I even found a bag of some items over a year old, told them it was that old, and they still took it back. As long as it shows up on their scanner, they'll take it back. They're not going to put you on any list, unless maybe they catch you trying to scam them. They will give you the lowest price that it has sold for. Last time I took things back without a receipt, the Gal was able to look it up on the computer because I used my Debit card.

re: As long as it shows up on their scanner
I once took something back to HD, a long, long time (> 1 year?) after I bought it. It didn't scan, so they wouldn't take it back. I was sure I bought it there 'cuz it was in an HD bag with a bunch of other stuff from the same project and they took everything else back. I was so convinced that I bought it there that I went back to the aisle where it should have been and found that the manufacturer had significantly changed the packaging, along with the SKU.
It was a small dollar item, so I didn't push the issue. I think it's still in my shop someplace, although I doubt I'll ever use it.
On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 19:17:53 -0500, "Walter Cohen"

I'm sure it's 100 dollars a year or more. I've returned a lot more than 20 dollars without a receipt and they've never said a word.
I would guess they have a fairly complicated algorithm to decide who is stealing and who isn't. And they might skip 100 and wait to see if you surpass 300 or 500 in 3 years. Just guessing at the numbers but people who shoplift for a "living" must try to do a lot more that.
I don't know if there is a way to show them the receipt after it's no longer useful for getting cash back. I would think there would be, because of course they are interested in distinguishing thieves from others.
Projects drag on. Lots of things keep them from going forward, and I think the HD people know that.
Walter Cohen wrote:

Today's Home Depot-themed cartoon:
http://daybydaycartoon.com/

Me too.
If you have you're receipt, I think they'll give you the money you paid no matter how old it is. Or not.
But without a receipt, they give you the lowest price it ever sold at. And if you wait too long, they change all the stock numbers every few years, so when I tried to return a wall timer because they now sold timers for fluorescents, they offered me either a dollar or 15 cents. So I kept it and will give it to someone.
On Monday, March 3, 2008 at 4:17:53 PM UTC-8, Walter Cohen wrote:

now

n't

ays

oss

ld

)

What people's past experience are doesn't count any more. HD has a NEW Pol icy as of 2015. And it doesn't matter if the No receipt value was only 1 P enny or a 100 dollars. It's all counted as the same. Further and listen clo sely. If you bought say 200 dollars worth of 10 items and it includes just 1 Penny you applied to that 200 dollars worth of purchases where that 1 Pen ny was applied from a No-Receipt store credit, then the whole receipt of 20 0 becomes non-returnable. In other words none of the 10 items you purchased are returnable. In order to get a refund (even thou you have a receipt for those 10 items) you must write HH Corporate Office in Irvine, Attention TRE POBox 51373, Ir vine, CA 92619-3133. There won't be anyone to talk to, it must be in writi ng requesting the refund credit. If you want more information you must call 1-866-550-3133 but they will tell the same as I just did above, nothing mo re. They'll just hang up on you if you try to explain your reasons.
My suggestion is never never use a Store Credit to pay partial of a greater amount due, as will affect all items (even if bought by cash or Credit Car d)as non-refundable "Return Declined". Quote: "HD also suggest not to use other people Store Credit as it will imp act your ability to make returns."
What people experiences have been in the past, you can throw out the window .
On 11/05/2015 04:00 AM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

LOOK AT THE DATE!!!!
On 11/5/2015 5:30 AM, philo wrote:

I did. She'd look better with less cleavage showing.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

You just gave a business model! Cleavage recognition s/w or boobie scans. Forget the eyes nobodies looking at them, just the important parts.
--
Tekkie

On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 02:00:40 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Here in Canada if it is on credit card, they have computerized record and can go back and see exactly what you bought and when and for what price, even if you bought it at a different location. Cash purchaces require a reciept. Credit card returns are creditted back to the original card. Can be a problem if you just upgraded your card and end up with a new number though - - -
On Thu, 05 Nov 2015 08:06:55 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Same in the US. If the new number was because of fraud, or potential fraud, the numbers would be linked.
On Thursday, November 5, 2015 at 10:46:56 PM UTC-5, Don Wiss wrote:

Don't you mean that if a new number was issued because of fraud, the old and new numbers would not be linked? As to a refund being a problem if a new CC number is issued to the same account, I don't see why that would be. I would expect the CC company to process refunds back to the account based on the old number. If they didn't, this would be a big problem, waste a lot of everyone's time, etc. And any money coming *back* would be a good thing for either the CC company or the card holder.
On Monday, March 3, 2008 at 4:17:53 PM UTC-8, Walter Cohen wrote:

You can ignore people response of their experiences. HD policy has changed, as given in detail below.
I am a contractor, and every six months or so, I gather up all the unused p arts that accumulate. I often have $500 or more worth of small parts, for w hich I do not have receipts. Home Depot used to take back everything for st ore credit, but when I hit around $2000 in returns without receipts, I was cut off. I had my girlfriend make my returns until she was cut off, now som eone else is doing it. I need to return the items, and that seems to be the ONLY way to do it. I understand why they need this safeguard, so I just li ve with the inconvenience. I buy thousands of dollars in materials a week t here, and they are often paid for on a customer credit card. Often, the par t they are purchasing is one I already have, but I have to buy a new one, a nd provide receipts, if I want to be paid for the materials. If I haven't u sed the parts in a few months, I take them back. I am always fine with stor e credit, because I will spend the money there anyway.I don't like that I a m on the "RAR" list, but I have never stolen anything in my life, and I don 't plan to, so hopefully, it won't be an issue.
On Monday, May 30, 2016 at 6:51:30 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

[...]
OK, color me confused.
First, you are paying for the parts on a "customer credit card". Who is the customer? Who card are you using?
Second, you provide receipts so you can get paid for the parts. If you don' t use them, you take them back. Are you returning that money to the customer?
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message wrote:

OK, color me confused.
First, you are paying for the parts on a "customer credit card". Who is the customer? Who card are you using?
Second, you provide receipts so you can get paid for the parts. If you don't use them, you take them back. Are you returning that money to the customer?
Are you sure you are not pedaling back stalling goods?????
On Thursday, June 2, 2016 at 1:28:19 PM UTC-4, Tony944 wrote:

Why are you asking me?

ut I have never stolen anything in my life, and I don't plan to, so hopefully, it won't be an issue.

Talk to the local store manager or contractor sales manager and work it out.
--
President Kennedy put a man on the moon. President Obama put a man in
the ladies’ room.