home depot

Page 5 of 7
On 12/10/05 06:30 pm HeyBub tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Yes, they did say that the working week would be reduced.

There's another of those dangerous averages: Perhaps only 5% of Americans are unemployed, but each of the UNemployed (as distinct from the UNDERemployed, who I assume are not included in your 5% figure) is 100% unemployed -- no wage, perhaps no decent health care, and unemployment benefits (if any -- and for how long?) that leave people below the poverty line.
Perce

Interesting. We just had a new HD open last week. When I went to check out, all the self checkouts had lines and the closest check out with a human operator had no customers.
Charlie
Frank Boettcher wrote:

I thought the same thing when they went in at my local store a while back. Stick around. They are absolutely not faster. It's a cost saving measure - they get to have one clerk for four registers. When something won't scan that one clerk has to handle it, and it happens all too frequently. I stopped using them after standing there for ten minutes one night.
snipped-for-privacy@worldemail.com says...

They work quickly if the following three conditions are met:
1) You don't have too many things. 2) The things you have are all reasonably portable and have "clean" barcodes. 3) There isn't anybody in the line in front of you.
I've found that if you have a lot of stuff, they don't work well, since inevitably one of your items won't scan, or scans wrong, or the bag-scale thing thinks there's an error, or some other problem. The same goes if there's barcode problems or items that aren't easily portable.
And if there's even a single person in front of me in the self-checkouts, I'll go in the regular checkout line. Far too often it's somebody who doesn't know what they're doing.
It's a cheap-ass cost-saving measure for the store, that just pisses off customers. Kind of like automated phone systems.
On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 08:08:54 -0500, "SeaKan"

How long do you have?
Gripes:
1. Self checkout lines. If I wanted a job as a cashier, I'd put in an application.
2. Too few open checkout lanes. I've left a full shopping cart and walked out more than once.
3. Aisles that are blocked off during shopping hours. Do your restocking when the store is closed. (Although, maybe you're restocking the stuff left in shopping carts by disgruntled customers)
4. Employees who complain about working conditions or company policy to customers. If you don't like it there, there is a Lowes a block away.
5. Lack of "associates" in the department that I'm needing help with. I and six other folks waited in the electrical department for wire cutting one day. I went to the service desk twice asking for someone to help. Then I remembered there is a Lowes a block away.
6. Lack of follow up support. I just bought an LG washer and drier ($1600). The door on the washer squeaks and rattles during the spin cycle. I called HD and was asked, "Did you adjust the door?" I wanted to say, "Hell no, if I wanted to work on a washing machine I would have kept the old one." I was told to call LG's 800 number. Guy says (in a foreign accent of some sort), "Did you adjust the door?" I suspect that if I would reply "yes" they would say I voided the warrenty. I -may- get service next Wednesday.
(I know I was asking for this by buying appliances at HD. I usually use local stores but they don't have LG and HD was having a hell of a sale.)
7. Shit quality lumber. When I need firewood there's a Mexican guy on the street corner selling Mesquite a lot cheaper.
8. I want to buy nails and screws by the pound or each. I don't need a box or blister pack.
Pluses:
1) They sponsor Tony Stewart.
Wes Stewart

filling up a full shopping cart for over an hour and then walking out and leaving it there. What a waste of time and effort!
Tomes wrote:

An "average" customer will wait no longer than five minutes in a checkout line. After five minutes, many customers will just walk out rather than wait longer to get their items paid for.
Sure, five minutes isn't a long time, but it sure FEELS like a long time when you're standing in a lineup.

Well, I have often thought of it, while waiting and waiting. Then I thought about having to do it all over again....
I tend to think that it is the un-average customer that has the gumption to actually leave it.

I actually have walked out because of long waits.

Mark Lloyd

I salute you indeed.
Tomes wrote:

depends on the availability of alternatives. Thank heavens for Lowes.
Christian Fox wrote:

As I recently made my way to the head of the Wal-Mart check-out line, I noticed a diminutive young gal standing impatiently next to the clerk. As I was paying for my merchandise, an assistant manager came up with an item in his hand and, addressing the waiting young lady, said:
"This is apparantly the last one. I can't find the box it came it so I just can't tell you how much it costs."
To which the young lady replied, in a voice whose volume surprised everyone, considering her dimunitive size: "Well, just fuck you and this whole fuckin' store! I've been waiting five fuckin' minutes for you to tell me that! Well, just shit on you!" And she stormed out.
Everyone stood with their mouth open.
I said: "I suppose a hug is out of the question?"
The manager grinned and said: "You're probably right."
"Too bad," I said. "She had nice tits."
At this point, the regular check-out clerk (female) couldn't take it any more and broke out into absolute fits of laughter.
Merry Christmas, everyone. Remember to spread the joy.

Nah, you get a lot of satisfaction from it when you are really PO'd

I never said I spent an hour filling it up. Once it was full of buckets of drywall mud. Took two minutes to fill it up.
Another peeve: I was in line on day watching the "movement" in the adjacent line. The customer had some plastic doo-dad, a piece of trim for rain gutters I think. (I didn't know anyone in Tucson installed rain gutters but I digress)
Anyway, there was no SKU on it and the cashier was pleading on the intercom for a price check, while 10+ people stood in line fuming. The thing couldn't have cost more than 20 cents and I was tempted to shout, "Put the damned thing in the bag and move on."

Once, when I was buying such an item, the clerk couldn't find the price and just said "have a nice day". Of course, that was at a small store, not anything like Home Depot.

Mark Lloyd
Wes Stewart wrote:

plumbing fittings, and one was missing the SKU. In the bag it went.
About 100 years ago, I got a package of drill bits that was actually flat. I used it in my tool box for ages. Bought antoher one. Now I need more drill bits. and the smallest bit box (13 bits) is about two inches th ick, six inches long, and four inches wide.
What's the idea? It doesn't need the size of a loaf of bread to plastic pack 13 drill bits. And I don't have the room in my tool box to go along with the hammer, screw drivers, extrabulator, volt ohm miliameter, and so on.
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

pocket of a shoplifter...
Tom.
I've had two encounters in the last couple of weeks where the price that was scanned was higher than the price on the tag in the aisle. The first time I was at the self-checkout counter with an item that was on sale and it took the clerk ten minutes to straighten it out. The second time I went to a staffed counter and the clerk tried to tell me I was mistaken when I pointed out the price difference. They sent another clerk back to check, so I went outside and grabbed a couple of hotdogs (no joke - I knew they'd be slow), came back inside and waited until the other clerk returned only to be told that the scanner was right.
I then had to walk back to the aisle to see if I had lost my mind. They had the shelves stocked with that item in two different styles of packaging. I brought one of each up to the counter and showed the clerk that they were identical. They had two different prices for the two different packaging styles. I pointed out that neglecting to either update the scanner pricing, relabel the sign on the shelves or remove whichever packaging style they wanted, was ripping people off.
This is the most bothersome thing in a long list of grievances. It's curious how both times the error was in their favor. What are the odds of that happening...?
The only reason I use HD is because it is open late and I'm a nightowl. I'll be forwarding this entire thread to HD's customer relations minions for their perusal. I'll be curious to see their reply.