HOA says no pickup trucks in driveway

Page 1 of 6
"[FLORIDA] The board of directors representing The Eagles, a deed restricted community in Odessa, was trying to keep A.J. Vizzi from parking his Ford pickup truck in his home's driveway. HOA rules state all trucks must be parked in a garage."
Judge renders declaratory judgment in favor of truck owner, says HOA is insane and must pay about $100,000 in legal fees. Take drug test.
http://www.tampabays10.com/news/mostpop/story.aspx?storyid –159&provider=top
Add pictures here
βœ–

why anyone buys into deed restricted communities leaves me at a loss........
my home means if I want a purple flamingo in the front yard no one should be able to do a thing about it
Add pictures here
βœ–

Gee: At that rate they wouldn't even allow my rig through the gate! Or the $800 camper I bought and rebuilt, that occasionally goes on the back of it! One of these months we must wash it. A few thousand miles away people are dying for lack of clean water and we have HOA worrying about nonsense like this! It's all very well to set reasonable 'standards' for safety and health but ................ ! BTW in many places the ownership of a large pickup is a 'status symbol'. Soon to change possibly as economic conditions fall, pollution rises and energy costs escalate however? Also BTW does this kind of thing not smack of the European snobbery? If you can afford a carriage, a team of horses and pay driver/ostler you are in. But if all you can afford is a horse and cart and you look after the horse yourself you are somehow not so worthy! Same thing today with driving an SUV or pickup (many of which are mechanically similar anyway)! We know someone driving a Cadillac Escalade which is similar, mechanically, to a Chevy pickup truck. USA "Land of the free and the brave ..... " eh????? Methinks there is more to this story??????? Sounds like the HOA refrred to should hold an election.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 05:52:28 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

There are people who don't want anyone around them to upset their little world with anything different than what their narrow mind finds acceptable. I wouldn't be shocked if this case is appealed. This fires a shot across the bow of every HOA in Florida.
BTW truck restrictions are not that rare around here. In Cape Coral you can't have a truck in your driveway by city ordinance.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 16:38:46 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Cape Coral: A Boy Scout family was fined for setting up tents in a front yard. Just for a day; after a camping trip, so the tents would air-out. It started when "snow-birds" didn't go back North...
This was in the late '70's.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Dec 17, 1:38 pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Wonder what kind of stroke the HOA would have were one to buy a junker car, chop the top back off and remove the trunk lid, viola! a Pickup but the registration will show it is a car.
Harry K
Add pictures here
βœ–

Wonder what kind of stroke the HOA would have were one to buy a junker car, chop the top back off and remove the trunk lid, viola! a Pickup but the registration will show it is a car.
Harry K
Explain something to me. Someone buys a home in an HOA. Prior to buying they are given the docs and sign a statement to abide by them. Then all of a sudden they scream, kick and cry when one of the regs from the docs are enforced. Please explain why that person bought in an HOA in the first place if he didn't want to follow their rules. Don't get me wrong, I don't like HOA's but I sure wouldn't buy in one if I disagreed with the docs and had no intention of following them.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Sanity wrote:

I believe in the case that hit fark.com recently (I assume that that is what this thread is about) the home moaner actually did check out the requirements before buying, but the ones being enforced are not the same ones given to him to review pre-purchase. I think that he does have a case if the facts are as represented in the article I read.
Oh, and HOA's suck.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

He only has a case if the docs and bylaws were not presented to him. And I guaranty he signed that he received and reviewed them before closing.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Do you know the laws in Florida? Do you think that all laws are obeyed precisely everywhere all the time?
You call yourself Sanity, for gosh sakes.
It's very risky to guaranty things when you don't know all the facts.
Don't imagine that the rules in your state are the same rules everywhere.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I've lived in Florida and New York and North Carolina. If he went to closing without a lawyer, which many people do, they he deserves whatever he gets. A lawyer would have made sure he got the docs before he signed off to them. In an HOA I lived in Florida, two weeks prior to closing and interview was held with the prospective buyer. At that time it was ensured that he received a copy of the docs and was told to read them and call if there were any questions. If the buyer didn't read them and signed in the blind, then he's the idiot.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Up until a few years ago it was illegal to park a "commercial vehicle" forward of the building line anywhere on a residential property in Kitchener Ontario.
However, that bylaw got changed when it was proven unenforceable. What constitutes a "commercial vehicle"? In years past ALL pickup trucks were required to have the owner's name on them in Ontario. They were all registered as commercial vehicles. Now names are no longer required and they can be registered for personal use. Still not supposed to park a moving van. tow-truck, livestock carrier, etc in front of the house, but vans, pickups, and SUVs are now allowed.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 16:15:41 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Wow. You should check out Texas, where all kinds of people drive pickups, many for no apparent reason.
I live in a middle income townhouse n'hood. By now, it may be lower middle income. But one guy drove a van, a panel truck, with his company's name and phone number on the two front doors. And some of the n'bors didn't like it. Did they have jobs any better than his?
He was a surveyor. A real one, not a surveyor's helper. Doesn't that take quite a bit of training, and pay pretty well?
I finally solved the problem, at the HOA meeting. I suggested he get a plain white -- his truck was white -- magnetic sheet, and cover the writing on the doors when he got home at night. It was so stupid. I wanted to tell the complainers how stupid I thought it was, but hey, I have to live near these people.

Add pictures here
βœ–
[snip]

Most of them do something much stupider...
[snip]
Add pictures here
βœ–

That's what our town hall will make residents do. I believe one vehicle is allowed with writing provided it's also for personal use. If there is a second vechicle they make you remove the sign or cover it up.

Add pictures here
βœ–

That varies state to state.
Steve
Add pictures here
βœ–

And if he was given a false copy of the rules and signed thinking they were correct?
Harry K
Add pictures here
βœ–

And if he was given a false copy of the rules and signed thinking they were correct?
Harry K
Another conspiracy theory. You are GIVEN a copy of the docs and you sign off that you received them. No one slips a mickey to you.
Add pictures here
βœ–

From your posts, it sounds like you are, or have been, a member of a HOA board.
Harry K
Add pictures here
βœ–

And if they are faulty, you merely hire an attorney and spend $100,000 to get it fixed. What's the problem?
Steve
Add pictures here
βœ–