Getting cats out of your yard

Page 1 of 3
I bought this house with a terrible problem. Cats were always in my yard and you know what they left behind.
**** The answer? Red pepper, cayenne, I use the ground in the 16 oz resturant pack that I get from Sams for about $3. Sprinkle it first where they poop, then on the fence where the cats walk and all around the edges of the yard the thickest. Then if there is any left I just sprinkle the rest around the rest of the yard. It takes about two weeks, but the cats quickly learn that if they go in your yard they are going to experience pain in their resperatory system, and when they lick their little paws, they experience a new level of heat in their mouth. This causes no harm to the cat other than what you feel when you eat a pepper. No more cats in my yard.
One more option is called Critter Ridder. It is available at most garden stores. I've seen it here at Lowes. It is about $20 for two lbs. of it. I have not used it though, the pepper works for me and it's cheeper.

Send them over to my house; everybody else does. However, I have never had any problem. Cats generally bury their feces. Pat
On 05 Jul 2004 22:29:25 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patscga) wrote:

Pellet gun or poison them. Meooooooooooooooow!
(Patscga) wrote:

Illegal,bad advice.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Jim Yanik wrote:

it may not be illegal, but it may not be that smart either depending on who's cat it is. and it certainly gets you to the top of the ass**** list in my book...
please dont shoot cats. if you are too stupid to get them out of your yard without hurting them, you really shouldnt be handling a gun...
randy
(Patscga) wrote:

yard
I was not recommending the killing of cats, merely clarifying that it isn't always illegal in every state. One must also consider that while it may be legal to shoot a stray cat in this state, it is illegal to discharge a firearm within the city limits. In the county, it's ok. In this state it is illegal to kill someone's else's pet unless it is attacking you or has rabies, however, many owners let their pets roam, they become a nuisance and then the pets simply "disappear". Part of owning a pet is acting in a responsible manner and keeping your animals in your own yard. Right or wrong, if pets become a nuisance, someone, sooner or later, will end the nuisance by making the animal disappear. Again, not my recommendation, only stating the way it is.
Bob
Our animal control folks will lend us a trap.

Our county does not have an animal control department. If a stray is a pest, you call the sheriff and he'll shoot it.
Bob
Greg wrote:

Try one of these, they do work and don't hurt anything:
http://www.coolgadget.net/scarecrow.html
They can be found cheaper than that site, but anyway, you get the idea...plus it's fun to watch.

$84.99 is a little steep, but factoring in the entertainment aspect, it becomes reasonable. I have a problem with my two dogs going to the gate at 0600 and barking at the kids going to school. I think I am going to try one.
Steve
SteveB wrote:

definately do a web search, they can be found much cheaper.

What keywords do I use?
Steve

It's a motion detector head and a 120v sprinkler valve. They are Home Depot parts.
SteveB wrote:

I used "motion activated sprinkler", but I think you could build one for about half what you could order one for...if you're into building stuff like that.
wrote

That sounds like a good idea. However, on the motion lights I have seen, they have a timer that turns them off. This timer is adjustable. But it starts at about 15 seconds for a test to several minutes. I don't want water spraying for several minutes, but only for a few seconds. Am I missing something here? Where do I get the on/off motion activated component that only comes on for a couple of seconds?
Steve
Forget the sprinker method a Paintball gun works way better and much more satisfying! :-)
SteveB wrote:

I don't have a clue, but I would start at Home Depot...*occasionally* those guys are helpful. My motion detectors out front for the lights are set at one minute, so that might work. Maybe if the cat hauls ass for a second and decides to wait it out, maybe it'll get bored before the minute is up. Probably not though, it *is* a cat.
Curt Martin wrote:

Hi, You can have it in real time mode if you want. Instant on/off. I am EE background, what I had at my last house, I just built one myself out of my junk box tapping the water off sprinkler system. In the case of light, yes, you wouldn't want instant on/off which will be useless then. Motion sensor which detects motion works many different ways. Infrared based one will work from the cat's heat. It does not have to be in motion. Tony
Tony Hwang wrote:

Don't they respond to changes in heat? So, the cat does have to move.