Re: Cats - ongoing problem

I've never tried this, but have made the suggestion many times: fill your Supa-Soaker with water containing Ipecac Syrup, and give the cat a good squirt so you get plenty on its coat. If your timing is just right, the cat will return to its owners lounge-room carpet before starting to lick the liquid off its coat ....

Another possibility, splash or squirt it with castor oil.

Reply to
John Savage

The idea is to solve the problem, not be a real jerk to the neighbor who owns the cat.

Ray

newsgroup)

Reply to
Ray Drouillard

His idea is also horribly cruel to the cat, which is just being a cat.

Just use a damned hotwire! It works every time and will keep out other furry garden pests as well, such as squirrels and rabbits... and thieving neighbors.

K.

Reply to
Katra

I've just been thinking of this for my neighbour's cat - if by hotwire you mean an electric fence?

In which case, is there technology to generate one with solar panels? i.e. some kit I could buy or make that produces the electricity in the garden, and doesn't require leads into the house?

Anita

Reply to
anita kean

Yes.

And yes! There are solar kits to run electric fences. They are used a lot by sheep farmers to keep coyotes away from the flock.

K.

Reply to
Katra

It's called a battery ;-)

Seriously, though, many old-style fence chargers used large dry cells. I believe I saw some at the Tractor Supply Company that have rechargeable batteries and solar cells. Without the battery backup, the fence won't work at night. The animals would soon figure that out.

Ray

Reply to
Ray Drouillard

Have you ever tried to keep a cat out of someone else's yard -- besides locking it indoors?

Besides that, the cat is just doing what cats do. Why torture it?

Thirdly, torturing someone's cat can get you in legal trouble.

Ray

Reply to
Ray Drouillard

Once you convince the real jerk who owns the cat to keep it out of your garden the problem IS solved.

Reply to
Anonymous

depends on where you live. Perfectly fair to trap (using deadly ones too) cats where I live

Reply to
Not the Karl Orff

Put some rocks in your garden and spray them with ammonia. Cats don't like that. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Delete the obvious to reply to me personally. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reply to
Lobo

il Sat, 10 Apr 2004 17:47:32 GMT, "Lobo" ha scritto:

Funny, cat pee is related to ammonia. My info says to avoid cleaning with ammonia as it is too similar. I imagine ammonia runoff won't help the garden none either.

Reply to
Loki

FYI, ammonia will cause spraying with some cats. So if you want certain toms in the neighborhood to be marking your garden, spray ammonia all around; that and the cat urine will smell just wonderful, not to mention your garden produce will not be the cleanest. It's likely a very good idea to be fully aware of the potential results of what you do before you do it.

A sure cure is the automatic sprinkler. It costs under $50, attaches to your garden hose and is powered by a 9-volt battery. I know several people who use them for cats, and they swear by them as being very effective. Besides, anything you sprayed on your garden to keep them out would have to be sprayed every day to be effective; are you ready to do that? So much simpler to buy the sprinkler; just remember to turn off the water before you walk out there. I understand they also keep away raccoons and some people use them for deer as well. Sometimes the simplest things are the best.

Glenna

Reply to
Glenna Rose

I'll say it again....

Hotwire.

Cheap and effective, and keeps other garden pests out such as squirrels and rabbits, and larger birds.

I've used one to keep the dogs out of the garden.

It has not raised my utility bills significantly.

K.

Reply to
Katra

well, it worked in my yard ... the cat that had been coming over the back fence stayed away. It only had to be resprayed if it rained. The sprinklers didn't hit it, so I wasn't doing it every day. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Delete the obvious to reply to me personally. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reply to
Lobo

il Sun, 11 Apr 2004 00:47:37 -0500, Katra ha scritto:

I was thinking BB soft air pistol :-)

Reply to
Loki

Only if you use rubber pellets... :-(

Reply to
Katra

il Sun, 11 Apr 2004 02:48:59 -0500, Katra ha scritto:

There's solid plastic and hollow plastic. I have no idea what they're like. I was thinking of aiming 'near' them for the noise effect. The mynahs may need lead however...

Reply to
Loki

They're illegal within the city limits here, and probably illegal re: covenants in the county subdivisions.

I saw the auto sprinklers on a show on tv, they were using them to deter people from cutting across their yard too. But yes indeed they would drive off most cats, and dogs, and some people, but as soon as the people figured out it was automatic, they'd probably steal it!

Janice

Reply to
Janice

Firing any sort of gun, even BB or pellet .. are illegal in the city limits also ..plus it's illegal to kill the birds or squirrels, cats or dogs even if in the wrong place can't be killed, it's considered cruel to kill them by means other than euthanasia. You can borrow a live trap from the humane society, or use your own to catch cats and dogs to take to the humane society. It is not illegal to let your cat wander since the very nature of the beast is to wander, however if you care about your pet cat, you will not allow it outside other than on a cat safe leash that it has been trained to properly, or in an enclosure designed for the cat..which I will not allow unless it was way above ground and had flea proof legs .. that would stop them from climbing them as there are fleas outside, and only inside when someone brings them in from their flea infested houses, or if there are pets allowed in and out of the house.

Most cats don't do well past 3 years of age outdoors in most places. They start losing more fights past 3 years of age, start getting bit and getting abscesses, even if they manage to avoid cars, dogs, and cat hating or torturing humans, they just start having more injuries that get expensive to treat when they are deep abscesses.

I just started getting kittens and never letting them outside. Then they die of old age, rather than feline infectious leukemia or the host of other diseases. Yes, vaccination is good, but not all get them soon enough or often enough.

The only time I experienced much trouble with cats in the garden is early in the season, when the ground is soft of course. Once the soil has firmed up they're not so eager to dig in it. Stretching plastic bird netting across the ground not quite laying on it, but not up high enough for them to crawl under it will discourage most as they don't like it snagging on their claws. Some would be discouraged with it just being ON the ground, so I'd try that before going to the work of changing the height until they hate it. Some would hate it when it was high enough that it did not fully suspend them but not allow them to walk very well on it. They're suspicious of unfirm footing.

Once the soil is firm but cats are still wandering and trying to dig, providing them an area that is sandy, and easy to dig, will keep them out of the rest of the yard.

No matter what you do, there will always be cats out there .. there are about as many cats as people in the world.

Janice

Reply to
Janice

Actually, ammonia is rich in nitrogen. Anhydrous ammonia is a common commercial fertilizer.

Ray Drouillard

Reply to
Ray Drouillard