Getting cats out of your yard

I'm waiting for my cat to take out that dog across the street that pees on my tires.

Good kitty.

Bob

Reply to
rck

That sounds like a good idea. However, on the motion lights I have seen, they have a timer that turns them off. This timer is adjustable. But it starts at about 15 seconds for a test to several minutes. I don't want water spraying for several minutes, but only for a few seconds. Am I missing something here? Where do I get the on/off motion activated component that only comes on for a couple of seconds?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Don't wait for that. Get a Fi-shock. Hook one wire up to the car. Hook up the ground wire. Wet the area down. If you can watch, it is hilarious. If not, you will probably be awakened in the middle of the night by a male dog that is headed back home and screaming his head off. A male dog that probably won't pee on ANY car tire for the rest of his life.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Forget the sprinker method a Paintball gun works way better and much more satisfying! :-)

Reply to
Randd01

"rck" wrote in news:rDYGc.8041$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

I would think a raccoon would handle a domestic cat easily. I guess it decided to wait out the cat instead of fight. I wonder why your cat did not go up the tree after the coon?

It sounds like a great hunter,though!

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Because the coon actually went up the post on the back porch. When I came out the back door, the cat was clawing at the coon's tail and I nailed that coon a direct hit with a 2 inch pipe square on his head. After weeks of messing around with that coon, it has finally decided my back porch is not a friendly place for coons. Haven't seen it since.

Bob

Reply to
rck

Cats can easily catch and kill a rabbit.

20 ga. 6-shot can easily kill a cat...and often has.

Have a nice week...

Trent©

What do you call a smart blonde? A golden retriever.

Reply to
Trent©

Hi, Some day bigger predator will eat your cat. Strong possibility. My neighborhood is full of koyotes. Unless you want to lose your cat for good, we don't dare with our three cats. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Here's some factual information from the Audubon society regarding the impact of feral cats on wildlife:

Never much cared for cats. I've owned 3 dogs, though. Someone should start a thread on the idiots who let their dogs bark all hours of the night & day. Now I have been driven to near gun-play by that a time or

12, and I'm not referring to shooting someone's malamute ;-)

Dan

Reply to
nono

I don't have a clue, but I would start at Home Depot...*occasionally* those guys are helpful. My motion detectors out front for the lights are set at one minute, so that might work. Maybe if the cat hauls ass for a second and decides to wait it out, maybe it'll get bored before the minute is up. Probably not though, it *is* a cat.

Reply to
Curt Martin

Hi, You can have it in real time mode if you want. Instant on/off. I am EE background, what I had at my last house, I just built one myself out of my junk box tapping the water off sprinkler system. In the case of light, yes, you wouldn't want instant on/off which will be useless then. Motion sensor which detects motion works many different ways. Infrared based one will work from the cat's heat. It does not have to be in motion. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Don't they respond to changes in heat? So, the cat does have to move.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

And then chop suey! lol

Have a nice week...

Trent©

What do you call a smart blonde? A golden retriever.

Reply to
Trent©

"William W. Plummer" wrote in news:dI7Hc.42187$MB3.2493@attbi_s04:

The cat has to move to get within range of the sensor. And some IR sensors modulate the sensor to get better sensitivity for really slow moving bogeys.(like slinking cats!)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Motion detectors do work on motion. The lens in the front provides the change in intensity as the target moves across the field. If you look closely you will see there are ribs in the lens. As the hot spot crosses the ribs the intensity changes. The electronics see this change and trigger.

Reply to
Greg

Nice thing about being a carnivore is occasionally being able to kill some other lesser animal.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yep, it's a dog eat dog world from microscopic organisms to humans. I think my woman is cooking ham for dinner today. There goes another pet.

Bob

Reply to
rck

When I was a child the neighbor's dog would go woof-woof-woof, woof-woof-woof all night. One night it went woof-woof-bang. Never made another sound.

Reply to
Nick Hull

Be sure to count noses once a week and make sure your children are all accounted.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon