cats?

My granny has a phobia about cats,,,,how can I keep them away from her deck? I tried putting mothballs in her lawnchairs, didn't work.....is there anything I can spray that would keep them away? Thanks for all advice.

Reply to
Sandy

An airgun works wonders

Reply to
Soidog

Feliway might work?

Otherwise, I'd pick up some "Scat matt" electric static mats...

Screening works too and will also keep off mosquitos.

Garden hoses work and won't hurt the cats.

You may also discuss the problem with local cat owners and suggest they keep their animals inside...

I do!

Reply to
Katra

I've heard that vinegar repels them. Haven't tried it, though.

They sell a citrus "solution" that is supposed to keep cats away from furniture. That didn't work for us at all.

Reply to
Anonymous

Detector Sprinklers worked to keep cats out of one of my neighbor's gardens. There are several variations on this design, you can google for the best price and options. Just be sure to position it so that it can be turned off without your granny getting squirted!

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

Hot pepper brine - not at them, but around the deck area. Also help keep squirrels off my grapes when the shoots are tender. I make a solution using hot peppers in vinegar and then into a spray bottle. Strategic spraying does the job. Their eyes act like ours do when cutting onions well before it actually irritates them.

Who's the jerk who said airgun? - they work on a-holes as well, especially in the face. The poster is likely looking for humane solutions. I'm looking forward to see the fate of the two youth who assasinated a grounhog pup today and then tried at the mother [failed] - using paintball guns. 6 months in jail is at stake for these moronic

17- and 18-year olds. I h> My granny has a phobia about cats,,,,how can I keep them away from her deck?
Reply to
Ed

Forgot the link to the story - here it is

Ed

Buy granny a nice doggy.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Actually, I read in another forum that cats have been known to scratch their eyes out after an encounter with hot pepper.

Reply to
LJ

in article UF6se.24862$ snipped-for-privacy@fe10.lga, Ed at snipped-for-privacy@sfhli.com wrote on

6/15/05 8:50 PM:

As long as they stick to groundhogs, that is a lot better than them using babies as targets. The question is whether a groundhog ends their bloodlust or merely whets their appetite for more.

Bill

Reply to
Repeating Rifle

I thought you were over reacting to the death of a mere groundhog or two. Now that I've read the story, I'm with you.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

So far, I like the suggestion of getting granny a small lap dog instead. ;-) That would give granny a nice little companion and should keep cats out of the yard!

Reply to
OmManiPadmeOmelet

No, couldn't find it again. I'm pretty sure it was in the Garden Web forum and was quite the impassioned plea not to use the hot peppers but I couldn't find the same reference again--and the thread I did find, even though it repeated the same plea not to use the hot peppers--didn't give anymore info and became so negative that I decided not to reference it.

Reply to
LJ

I will check around. But, the squirrels seem to know that my plants are off limits after a taste. Probably after a few days, any of the aromaticity of the pepper is gone and it requires a taste, which I don't think will harm an animal. The burn is probably a pepper's natural defense anyway. It's not delivered at full strength either. Right after I apply it, I'd be surprised if they at all go near the plants and areas that have been sprayed.

I could understand directly **sprayed** pepper caus> No, couldn't find it again. I'm pretty sure it was in the Garden Web forum

Reply to
Ed