Electrical/Generator question

Page 3 of 3

Nothin' like a little good old fashioned lineman street-justice!
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com
Greg wrote:

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/90pr05.html
FACE: 90PR05
SUBJECT: Lineman Dies When He Contacts Energized Power Line in Puerto Rico CAUSE: Electrocution
SUMMARY: On September 29, 1989, a 42-year-old male lineman with 19 years of experience was electrocuted while attaching a 2,400-volt power line to a pole-mounted insulator. The power line had been de-energized two days earlier and the supervisor assured the lineman that the power line was still de-energized.
A construction crew consisting of a supervisor, three class A linemen (including the victim), a first-class lineman, a groundman, and two truck drivers were assigned the task of correcting a malfunction in a de-energized three-phase power line. When the crew arrived at the work site, they found that one of the three phases had broken and fallen to the ground. The supervisor instructed the victim to relocate the damaged phase on the cross-arm of the pole to better balance the load on the cross-arm. As the victim began to climb the pole he was assured by the supervisor that the power lines had been de-energized. When he attempted to relocate the damaged line he contacted another phase, was shocked, and slumped backwards, prevented from falling by his safety belt. The power lines at the work site had been energized by backfeed electrical energy from a portable gas generator being used on the circuit. NIOSH investigators concluded that to prevent future similar occurrences, employers and employees must:
o ensure that established procedures for power line maintenance work are followed at all times
o take special precautions to guard against feedback electrical energy, including testing and grounding power lines prior to the initiation of work.
If you look you will find at least two moret that are much like this one. -- Tom H

And how do you suppose the power gets back out onto the grid, if not through the utility company's transformer that (under normal operation) steps the distribution voltage down to supply your house?
The truth is Stormy thinks a volt is all that matters, and poles , do not matter. And generators are all equal and all you need is a plug , to plug ' IT IN " . Hilbilly Darwinisim, in effect here. By by
On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 17:58:49 GMT, "Stormin Mormon"

The same way you got from a minor, completely isolated, pass through for a wall to killing a lineman on a grid that's not connected to it in any way - by not paying attention!
BB

Dummy: You can't have watts without voltage. And amperage. It's analogy and the voltage was mentioned in an earlier thread. Are you typical of ALL Mormons?
message | > Many gennies have circuit breakers for this situation. I doubt a 4 KW | would | > power the grid (down to a lineman) without tripping off the breaker. But | why | > take chances? | | Indeed. | | Let's say you're the only person fed off a particular 4K_volt_ pole pig, and | an | ice storm has pulled the supply wire off. | | You've inadequately set up your generator, and the generator is back feeding | the pole pig. The input side of the pole pig is now presenting 4K _volts_ | to | an unsuspecting lineman. But that's the dead side, right? Wrong. _Both_ | ends of the break are live. | | Expecting a 40 _amp_ breaker to trip fast enough (or at all) to save | someone's | life? Not a chance. | -- | Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est | It's not just anyone who gets a Starship Cruiser class named after them. | |
message | Many gennies have circuit breakers for this situation. I doubt a 4 KW would | power the grid (down to a lineman) without tripping off the breaker. But why | take chances?
That's a dangerous attitude. Your doubts are dangerous and should be kept to yourself as you have zero, nada idea what you're talking about. You only show your ignorance spouting crap like that.
| | And as a courtesy to all who consider this a heated and passionate topic | "YOUR A TOTAL IDIYOT!!!!!" hoping you feel better, now.
Now there's a great example of the pot calling the kettle black!
I consider it what I consider it, and that's all I consider it.
Pop
Stormin once again proves why he is not an employable Repair-Tech.
You show your buttside when you criticize wtihout adding any useful information. You're so smart.... you give us the answer.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

It doesn't have to power the grid to be dangerous -- it just has to power the part that the lineman's working on.

Indeed.

The recommendation for a proper transfer switch is a very good one.
The transfer switch allows you to leave everything inside the house more or less as it is, and you get to run whole in-house circuits off the generator.
I'm just going to point out something that people missed when they started talking about "suicide cords".
What you're trying to describe is run an extension cord thru the wall and run your equipment off extension cords on the inside of the house.
No need for double males/double females, or any of that sillyness.
Suicide cords are "required" (and code-illegal) when you're trying to backfeed an existing circuit...
You want something slightly different.
Think of it this way, it's just a short extension cord running through a hole. You could string a piece of suitable cord thru the wall and attach the appropriate connectors. But, running power cord thru walls is a code no-no.
You want a male receptacle on the outside of the building, and a female on the inside - you need nothing more than a single box open at both ends. You run an ordinary extension cord from the generator to the male, and an ordinary extension cord from the female to the loads you want to run.
You _can_ get weatherproof _male_ receptacles. I have one on my shed, so that occasionally I can power a few things in my shed with an extension cord from the house.
Obviously, with a 5000W generator, that's more than a regular extension cord can handle. You'll need two separate sets (of 20A) for opposite sites of the feed. Or, use a 4-wire connector/cable from the generator and a mini-panel on the inside feeding a few circuits of its own...
And then you have to consider grounding et. al.
Once you think that far, you'll want to consider transfer switches ;-)
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est