Electrical/Generator question

Oh shit. You gone and got old w_tom all wound up. Now we'll all pay the price.

Reply to
Joe Fabeitz

Many gennies have circuit breakers for this situation. I doubt a 4 KW would power the grid (down to a lineman) without tripping off the breaker. But why take chances?

And as a courtesy to all who consider this a heated and passionate topic "YOUR A TOTAL IDIYOT!!!!!" hoping you feel better, now.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

According to Stormin Mormon :

Indeed.

Let's say you're the only person fed off a particular 4K_volt_ pole pig, and an ice storm has pulled the supply wire off.

You've inadequately set up your generator, and the generator is back feeding the pole pig. The input side of the pole pig is now presenting 4K _volts_ to an unsuspecting lineman. But that's the dead side, right? Wrong. _Both_ ends of the break are live.

Expecting a 40 _amp_ breaker to trip fast enough (or at all) to save someone's life? Not a chance.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message news:KPpmd.67$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com... | Many gennies have circuit breakers for this situation. I doubt a 4 KW would | power the grid (down to a lineman) without tripping off the breaker. But why | take chances?

That's a dangerous attitude. Your doubts are dangerous and should be kept to yourself as you have zero, nada idea what you're talking about. You only show your ignorance spouting crap like that.

| | And as a courtesy to all who consider this a heated and passionate topic | "YOUR A TOTAL IDIYOT!!!!!" hoping you feel better, now.

Now there's a great example of the pot calling the kettle black!

I consider it what I consider it, and that's all I consider it.

Pop

Reply to
Pop

Stormin once again proves why he is not an employable Repair-Tech.

Reply to
m Ransley

It doesn't have to power the grid to be dangerous -- it just has to power the part that the lineman's working on.

Indeed.

Reply to
Doug Miller

By backfeeding a transformer.

If the utility company's transformer steps 4KV *down* to 240 for your service drop, and you backfeed 240 into the load side, it's stepping that 240 back

*up* to 4KV on the line side.
Reply to
Doug Miller

How did you get from watts to volts?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You show your buttside when you criticize wtihout adding any useful information. You're so smart.... you give us the answer.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Be interesting to call my local utility some time and see if that's the line voltage otu there.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Watts = volts * amps. (simple case, no power factor).

4000 watts = 20 amps at 200 volts or 4000 watts = 2 amps at 2000 volts. or 4000 watts = 1 amp at 4000 volts or 4000 watts = .1 amp (lethal) at 40,000 volts.
Reply to
John Hines

The same way you got from a minor, completely isolated, pass through for a wall to killing a lineman on a grid that's not connected to it in any way - by not paying attention!

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

i.e,

Volts = Watts / Amps Amps = Watts / Volts

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

So, if I stick a fork in the end of my generator, you are telling me I can get 4,000 volts? I don't think so!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

In all the time I've worked on electric, it's always been about 110 volts to ground, unless there is a transformer or a resistor. Now, supposing I put a

110 volt generator on a house and back feed. It's still going to go through the wall at 110 volts. Not 4,000 volts.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Dummy: You can't have watts without voltage. And amperage. It's analogy and the voltage was mentioned in an earlier thread. Are you typical of ALL Mormons?

4K _volts_ | to | an unsuspecting lineman. But that's the dead side, right? Wrong. _Both_ | ends of the break are live. | | Expecting a 40 _amp_ breaker to trip fast enough (or at all) to save | someone's | life? Not a chance. | -- | Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est | It's not just anyone who gets a Starship Cruiser class named after them. | |
Reply to
Pop

Moron, I mean, Mormon, I was just following your lead .

Reply to
Pop

You should get the LDS and Mormon refs out of your signature. First off, the Mormons I know wouldn't use a computer, and you obviously are a phoney. Go call your utility; tell them how you hook up a generator and see what they say. Be prepared to have a checkbook for the deposit you'll have to put down.

| By backfeeding a transformer. | | If the utility company's transformer steps 4KV *down* to 240 for your | service | drop, and you backfeed 240 into the load side, it's stepping that 240 back | *up* to 4KV on the line side. | |

Reply to
Pop

Oh my God, if you've worked on electric for ten years and don't know anything but 110V, it must have been one experiencei n ten years, or you are a liar. I think you're a trolling liar. If you lie about this, what else would you live about? Like most everything that spews from your gutters to your keyboard?

You're an idiot and a moron and show it well here.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message news:%0Pnd.5836$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com... | In all the time I've worked on electric, it's always been about

110 volts to | ground, unless there is a transformer or a resistor. Now, supposing I put a | 110 volt generator on a house and back feed. It's still going to go through | the wall at 110 volts. Not 4,000 volts. | | -- | | Christopher A. Young | Learn more about Jesus |

| | | "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message | news:8rMnd.415$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com... | John Hines wrote: | > "Stormin Mormon" wrote: | >

| >> How did you get from watts to volts? | >

| > Watts = volts * amps. (simple case, no power factor). | | | | i.e, | | Volts = Watts / Amps | Amps = Watts / Volts | | | | | -- | Mortimer Schnerd, RN | | snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com | | |

Reply to
Pop

Idiot: No one said that. Stupid, learn to read. Moron, you need more skoolin'.

Reply to
Pop