| How do you get 4,000 volts out of a portable generator? I'd
like to buy that
| brand of generator next time.
Everyone seems to have misunderstood the OP's question, but in
answer to this one:
Easy: When used without a transfer switch, the generator power
in the house also goes out thru the fusebox to the transformer on
the pole, and on the other side of the transofrmer, where the
linemen work most, it becomes the x,000 Volts or xx,000 Volts,
that is so dangerous. The normal step-down action of the xfmr
becomes step-up when you put voltage on the house-side of it.
And, should the power come back on, the generator WILL become
toast, even if its voltage settings are higher than the utility
voltage. Being ac, it will not be in phase with the utility and
something's going to have to give - most always the generator
unless it's a huge one, in which case the pole xfmr will explode
or at least smoke with vigor. Circuit breakers might help limit
the damage some, but most likely the generator is still going to
be toasted. If they protect anything, it will be the pole xfmr.