Heating problems

My forced air heating is not working. The fan will not turn on even when set to "ON" at the thermostat. Now the interesting part, when I checked the furnace I shut off the main power. When I turned it back on, the furnace and fan cycled on. After watching it operate for 30 seconds or so, I shrugged and left (contact corrosion?).

But even with theat brief moment of thermal bliss, the system returned to its cold-hearted ways.

Seems to me that I should short the blower power wire at the thermostat to see if bypassing the thermostat allows the fan to work (an if so, replacing the thermostat). Does anyone know which of the wires I need to short to trigger the fan directly?

Also, any other suggestions as to the possible problem would be appreciated.

Reply to
Larry G.

This is Turtle.

Like HVACTech said, You need to give the model and serial number and brand and describe what the problem was before you started testing with the fan switch.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE
041114 1159 - Larry G. posted:

Here's one place to look for some information:

indago

"Larry G." wrote

Yeah, THAT'S the ticket!

F*ck it up even more so it will COST you even more to get it fixed!

Hey! Maybe you'll burn down the house and THE INSURANCE COMPANY WILL PAY FOR IT!!!!!

Yeah......that's it.......

Reply to
Red Neckerson

Its called a hard lock out, and its there to keep you from doing EXACTLY what you are talking about.

Call someone that can troubleshoot it properly....as in...there in person.

In English...somethings wrong and its telling you this....do NOT attempt to run it until you have a licenced person check it out.

Reply to
steve

Hi, What model furnace? Can you fetch fault code? Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi Larry, hope you are having a nice day

On 13-Nov-04 At About 19:59:15, Larry G. wrote to All Subject: Heating problems

LG> From: snipped-for-privacy@excite.com (Larry G.)

LG> My forced air heating is not working. The fan will not turn on even LG> when set to "ON" at the thermostat. Now the interesting part, when LG> I checked the furnace I shut off the main power. When I turned LG> it back on, the furnace and fan cycled on. After watching it LG> operate for 30 seconds or so, I shrugged and left (contact LG> corrosion?).

LG> But even with theat brief moment of thermal bliss, the system LG> returned to its cold-hearted ways.

LG> Seems to me that I should short the blower power wire at the LG> thermostat to see if bypassing the thermostat allows the fan to work LG> (an if so, replacing the thermostat). Does anyone know which of the LG> wires I need to short to trigger the fan directly?

LG> Also, any other suggestions as to the possible problem would be LG> appreciated.

There is not enough info here to even begin to troubleshoot the problem. it sound as though it is going into lockout for some reason. the best thing to do would be to call a local company to check it out.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2

Hi indago, hope you are having a nice day

On 14-Nov-04 At About 17:40:12, indago wrote to All Subject: Re: Heating problems

i> From: indago

i> 041114 1159 - Larry G. posted:

i> Here's one place to look for some information:

Although these color codes are correct I ned to warn anyone reading this that an installer doesn't necessarily follow the color codes on wiring. I have run into many systems where this is true.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2