Dishwasher rack rust spots

I remember reading about some sort of repair kit to cover the worn spots on vinyl covered metal racks in a dish washer. I checked with Sears repair and they told me I had to buy a new rack. About $40. I looked at the stuff you can buy in HD that is used to coat screw driver handles, etc. Do you think it would work? It says it can be applied by brush. Anybody have any ideas?

Reply to
Chuck B.

How old is the dishwasher. Some racks have long warranty. Depends on brand and model.

Reply to
Art

Will the stuff for tool handles hold up to the soap and hot water and drying cycle heat ?

Reply to
Steve Stone

On Tue 05 Jul 2005 06:45:36p, Steve Stone wrote in alt.home.repair:

Most appliance parts shops have bottles of bottles of vinyl rack liquid which you can brush on, and it's specifically designed for dishwashers.

It works, but it's very important to clean away the rust as completely as possible or it will eventually pop back up through the repair.

Scroll down the following page for rack repair kits

Wayne Boatwright

Try some heavy PVC plumbing cement. "Vinyl" and PVC are the same thing.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Hi,

handles, etc. Do you think it would work?

It is food safe?....what ever you put in the d/w may get onto the dishes you eat off of!!

Check your warrant yas *some* racks had extended warranty.

rack touch up with repair tips in a kit together

rack touch up with repair tips in a kit together

rack repair tip ends only

rack touch up only

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

handles, etc. Do you think it would work?

Reply to
nospambob

Hi,

Never seen one of the replacement racks tips come off, they are approx

1/2 an inch long and seem to stay in place very well. Have seen some original ends the manufactures put onto the racks ( from the factory ) come off and get into the motor-pump assembly. The manufacture usually uses short tips, like 1/4" or 3/8" long.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid