Dishwasher rack rust spots

I remember reading about some sort of repair kit to cover the worn spots on vinyl covered metal racks in a dish washer. I checked with Sears repair and they told me I had to buy a new rack. About $40. I looked at the stuff you can buy in HD that is used to coat screw driver handles, etc. Do you think it would work? It says it can be applied by brush. Anybody have any ideas?
How old is the dishwasher. Some racks have long warranty. Depends on brand and model.

snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com says...

Will the stuff for tool handles hold up to the soap and hot water and drying cycle heat ?
On Tue 05 Jul 2005 06:45:36p, Steve Stone wrote in alt.home.repair:

Most appliance parts shops have bottles of bottles of vinyl rack liquid which you can brush on, and it's specifically designed for dishwashers.
It works, but it's very important to clean away the rust as completely as possible or it will eventually pop back up through the repair.
Scroll down the following page for rack repair kits
http://tinyurl.com/8lc3w
--
Wayne Boatwright **
Chuck B. writes:

Try some heavy PVC plumbing cement. "Vinyl" and PVC are the same thing.
Chuck B. wrote:

Hi,
It is food safe?....what ever you put in the d/w may get onto the dishes you eat off of!!

Check your warrant yas *some* racks had extended warranty.
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&N835 Blue rack touch up with repair tips in a kit together
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&N836 White rack touch up with repair tips in a kit together
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&Ns8203 Blue rack repair tip ends only
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&Nu1593 Grey rack touch up only
Several years ago Robert Gracie posted suggestions on appliance repair and he once commented the tips, presumed to be the same as in the kits you listed, became loose and plugged the drain. Has that problem been overcome?
On 5 Jul 2005 20:12:20 -0700, "Appliance Repair Aid"

nospambob wrote:

Hi,
Never seen one of the replacement racks tips come off, they are approx 1/2 an inch long and seem to stay in place very well. Have seen some original ends the manufactures put onto the racks ( from the factory ) come off and get into the motor-pump assembly. The manufacture usually uses short tips, like 1/4" or 3/8" long.