death in group

Page 9 of 11

Working in places where someone notices that you exist would help too. These chain stores go for the cheapest labor and get rid of people as soon as they have some experience (and are paid a bit more money). They're not places for anyone who actually cares about people.
That they could have someone lying dead on their roof for 3 days speaks volumes about the work environment there.
On 08/28/2016 06:51 AM, FromTheRafters wrote:

If access to the roof is via stairs within the store they probably think they have it covered. They might be more aware if it was an external ladder with a locking cage over the bottom section.
At the local Walgreen's the druggies just come in through the front door like everyone else and don't have enough ambition to try to get to the roof. They haven't been hit recently so maybe they're doing something different on the night shift.
On 08/27/2016 02:40 PM, trader_4 wrote:

My nephew was a self employed consultant who worked from home but was also out of town frequently. When things got too ripe, the neighbors finally phoned it in.
Uncle Monster submitted this idea :

"Common sense is not so common." ~ Voltaire, Dictionnaire Philosophique (1764)
on 8/25/2016, DerbyDad03 supposed :

One of the articles I read on this subject stated that Mormy had 'self-access' to the roof. I took that to mean that he had his own key to the space.
On Thursday, August 25, 2016 at 10:44:44 AM UTC-4, FromTheRafters wrote:

Do you have a link to that article? This article states that he was "admitted" to the roof, which I take to mean that someone in the store gave him access.
http://www.chronicle-express.com/news/20160725/body-on-walgreens-roof-identified
DerbyDad03 laid this down on his screen :

Reviewing my two browsers' history to URLs and following links therein turns up nothing except what you have noted. I remember seeing that 'self-access' (a bad idea) and wondering to myself if that was even legal, let alone something an insurance policy would allow.
On 8/25/2016 11:22 AM, FromTheRafters wrote:

Why not? Who was he working for? The store of the landlord?
Couple of years ago my grandson and a few of his friends worked on the roof of a major chain store in town. They were doing snow removal and were hired by the building owner, not the store. No regulations, no insurance prohibitions.
In wrote:

My guess is that someone just showed him how to get indoor access to the flat roof to begin working. It may have even been though a hatch door in the ceiling of a back room that also has a built-in ladder up to the hatch. And, of course, that person could have gone off duty not knowing if he had already finished work and came down or if he was still up there.
And, as I wrote previously, I suspect that he just suffered a sudden cardiac death (where someone suddenly collapses unconscious and their heart stops), and never knew what happened and didn't suffer in any way. And, in that event, unless someone happened to witness that collapse, or by some chance happened to have checked on him with the first 4 or 5 minutes of the collapse, having someone check on him any time after that would have been too late to do anything to revive or save him.
Again, this is all just speculation on my part based on the limited information that we have available. But, I suspect that his passing was sudden and that he did not suffer in any way.
On Thursday, August 25, 2016 at 10:55:30 AM UTC-4, TomR wrote:

All of this is similar to closing the store with someone still in the restroom.
Regardless of whether they could have saved him or not, someone should have been aware that a non-employee was still on the premises before closing the store and leaving.
Uncle Monster formulated on Thursday :

I had the same feeling. It is best to not work alone if at all possible. Of course, those who failed to be saved by paramedics aren't posting the details of their experiences.
Here are some stats for anyone interested.
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/3475859/ns/health-heart_health/t/public-defibrillators-saving-lives/#.V78o1RIoGkA

or this may have been a return gig and he already knew how to get to the roof and he just "checked in" with one of the employees in a routine way on his way.

Why? He was dead already, so who cares what happens to the corpse? (Other than the people who had to come pick it up.)

chat

would

the

quickly.

You nailed it. Nasty on them and on relatives who sometimes have to ID them or unwisely request a final viewing of the body.
--
Bobby G.

I doubt it was a hatch door. Buildings like that would have a stairs leading to a bulkhead. He would have closed the door to the bulkhead. A hatch would usually be left open.

A member of an acting club that I am also a member of recently died of a heart attack. He went out for a walk. He collapsed at the door to his building. No one noticed him for a while. And when they did he was dead.
On 8/25/2016 10:02 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Look at the staff of your typical retail store and you have the answer. No one knows anything or cares.
On Thursday, August 25, 2016 at 5:46:38 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yeah, I don't see some big, unusual issue here. Similar probably happens all the time, especially if it's a regular maintenance guy they are used to showing up and servicing them.
I remember on one of those TV shows where they help stores prevent crime, they sent a guy into a liquor store dressed as a service guy and he rolled a whole refrigerated display case full of booze right out the front door. He just told one of the employees he was there to fix a bad unit.

The security is pretty lax if they didn't notice the roof hatch was still open. You can only close and lock it from the inside. Generally they are connected to the building alarm system as well, so whoever closed down for the night should have realized something was wrong - or is Wallgreens a 24 hour opperation now?? (which could explain a lot)
On 8/25/2016 8:41 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Good point. Many Walgreens are 24 hours so no one would be setting alarms.
On Friday, August 26, 2016 at 12:35:07 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It's not a good point based on the simple fact that verifying the hours of operation for this specific property is so easily done.
Hint: My statements related to "They should have checked for non-employees before they left" are valid.