Damn, it's cold

That coming from a province that still relies on coal generated electrical power plants.
Needs a catalytic converter, reduced NOx emissions, data uplink, computer controlled draft, and a serial number for taxation purposes. And the California model has automatic rolling blackout, that extinguishes the fire every four hours. More or less, it's some what random.
I'm only half teasing, I expect all of these "improvements" within a few years.
--

Christopher A. Young;
.

"S. Barker" < snipped-for-privacy@coldmail.com> wrote in message

Actually well seasoned wood when burned properly in a decent stove emits about the same amount of C02 as the same tree, fallen and left to rot on the forest floor.

When Al Snore practices what he preaches, I might listen. Until then, I found a place that gave me 129 trillion carbon credits free, so I'm all set.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant. Speak softly and carry a loaded .45 Lifetime member; Vast Right Wing Conspiricy Web Site: www.destarr.com - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A bit jealous? A bit undereducated on the question?
Well, yes it is and no it isn't. Depends. If one burns "dirty" it is. If clean it isn't. I assume you are talking about two things.
Pollution: A modern airtight is almost polution free. I would be putting almost the same amount of pollution out burning fuel oil.
Carbon: Burning wood in the long run is carbon neutral as the carbon locked up in the wood _will_ be freed sometime due to either fire or rot. Of course in the short term it adds co2.
But there is another side to the carbon question. If I don't burn wood, my only other economic choice is fuel oil. Is it better to be burnign a non-renewable, co2 adding resource or burn a renewable (wood), co2 adding (short term) resource?
Looks like wood is not "bad" but at least a 50/50 trade off. In my view it comes out ahead because of the renewable resource bit.
Harry K

Burning *anything* is carbon neutral in the long run (for sufficiently large values of "long").
--
Regards,
Harry K wrote:

Whale oil is a renewable resource.

Okay, you provide it and I will use it to for my next tank fill. There is practical and then there is pie in the sky.
When it comes to heating, it is a necessary evil and must be done somehow. Currently there are no 'clean' methods that are economically viable. Someone will spring up now with "solar" ignoring the "economically viable" bit. When someone can show me where an entry level house can be totally solar at a reasonable cost...
Harry K
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

I can't. It's against the law.

Do the math. About 745 watts per sq meter falls on the earth's surface. On the equator. At noon. With no clouds. The only way to increase this number is to move the orbit of the earth closer to the sun.
Assuming 70% efficiency for solar collectors, and adjusting for latitude and 40% cloud cover, it would take a collector farm the size of the Los Angeles basin (~1200 sq miles) to provide power for California (~50GW).
Overlooking the cost to build and maintain 1200 sq miles of collectors, the people of Los Angeles would have to fight in the shade.

You can also assume a large loss of efficiency within the first three minutes of operation when someone decides to spray paint the collector.
As also are politicians, but for different reasons.
--

Christopher A. Young;
.

"HeyBub" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message
on 12/17/2007 6:12 PM Stormin Mormon said the following:

and for the same reason. Robin Williams as Presidential candidate Tom Dobbs in "Man of the Year"
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

first.
--
Regards,
on 12/18/2007 10:06 AM Doug Miller said the following:

it by Williams.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Christopher A. Young;
.
.

"Doug Miller" < snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com> wrote in message

WHAT??? Evacuate? Shelter?
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=houston+tx
Sounds like springtime to me.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I suppose it's what your used to. When a hurricane heads our way, vistors look down and say "Feet, make tracks!" while we natives stock up on beer and strawberry pop-tarts. Can't have a party without pop-tarts.
We're starting to take hurricanes a bit more seriously, though. Last one that affected our area, Katrina, missed us by almost 200 miles. What it DID do, however, was bother us with 250,000 evacuees from New Orleans, a great number of which were criminals.
In the intervening two years, most of these criminals have been killed off or are in Texas jails ("Whatch yo' mean, I can't be walkin' in my 'hood with a Malt an' a toke?"), but why go to the trouble. In today's Houston paper:
"[Evacuees] seeking to escape the next hurricane or state emergency by evacuation bus will first be submitted to criminal background checks, the state's emergency management director says." http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hurricane/5380868.html
Appease the gods of wind and water with human sacrifice, I always say.

These suth-un-ers don't know what cold is. But seriously, glad you're safe.

38F above zero?
JK
Re Damn, it's cold:

It went down to 34F here in north Alabama. Of course, being in the north we are used to the cold, but still.....
When is global warming going to kick in?