Damn, it's cold

Page 1 of 5
Got down to 38F last night in Houston.
Had to put on all the clothes I owned. Even had to get another blanket.
From the attic.
At least we didn't have to evacuate to a shelter like so many. Fortunately, we have plenty of food; neighbors are stocking up on canned goods and bottled water.
I'm not sure whether they're going to close the schools or the roads. Mail delivery is likewise iffy.
HeyBub wrote:

:)
Mother's family in The Valley around Pharr/McAllen area -- used to go down for Christmas on occasion. Invariably would be in 40s/low 50s and wet/damp. W/ no heat of significance in house would feel colder more miserable than if stayed home in 20F conditions...
We're toasty this AM at 19F -- areas around w/ heavier snowfall/ice at the 0-10F mark. No wind today and bright sun, so feels pretty good, actually.
dpb, my folks are in Harlingen, so I know what you are talking about. Planning to get down there next weekend. Our neighborhood was built in 1957--we moved there in Jan. 1961. All the houses have gas jets in every room for space heaters, but the original owners of our house had central heat added. Funny, we the only ones with CH for years, and then one of the last to get central air. I put in the system in 1995. We started off with 2, and ended up with 5 window shakers before that. If you go down there for the Holidays, have a good trip. Larry Btw, when we moved there, Harlingen and McAllen were about the same size--not anymore for sure. McAllen is a big city, Harlingen still nothing.
lp13-30 wrote:

That's about the last time I was in the Valley -- after grandparents passed didn't make it much. Their place is outside town a ways still; part of the first citrus folks moved there from E KS during the 30s. Uncle still has the place although they've only put back very small fraction of the orchards since the major freezes of what--15-20 years ago or so, now I guess...
dpb wrote: ...

That being "groves", of course -- clearly the flatland wheat farmer doesn't know diddley about citrus... :)
dpb wrote:

Here in Texas I walked around in shorts and a t-shirt.
Here in NY, I've been walking around in underwear and undershirt all day.
Under my clothes, that is.
--

Christopher A. Young;
.

"CJT" < snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net> wrote in message
on 12/17/2007 2:05 PM Stormin Mormon said the following:

That's nothing. Here in NY at 12 F, I've been walking around naked under my clothes. :-)
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Christopher A. Young;
.
.

"willshak" < snipped-for-privacy@00hvc.rr.com> wrote in message

Awww...I feel for you. I just chunked a couple pieces on the fire. Must be up to around 74 in here now as I sit typing in my t-shirt and shorts. Was out restocking the porch from the woodshed yesterday with windchill down around 10.
Harry K

You DO know that burning wood is very BAD for the environment! I guess you don't care much about the health of the planet.
You ARE kidding, right?

Re Re: Damn, it's cold:

Wood burning is carbon-neutral in any period less than roughly 100 years.
Last night here in California we were advised that there was a spare the air alert and to refrain from wood fires. So if it is not harmful why would it be all over the news NOT to make a fire?
wrote

Madx wrote:

It's currently the PC position comes to mind?
More realistically in a metro area it is a particulate source which can be a problem.

...which is exactly why it was made illegal here (Rochester NY) at some point in the past.

You mean outside? People have plenty of fireplaces in the home and make fires in them.

Burning wood in fireplaces is not allowed inside the city limits of Rochester.
On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 13:02:04 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Please show me an online citation for this assertion of yours. I have never heard of such a thing, and many people use their fireplaces in the city of Rochester.
on 12/17/2007 8:02 AM JoeSpareBedroom said the following:

Awful lot of homes and apartments for sale or rent in Rochester, NY advertising fireplaces. Google - fireplace rochester ny
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY