Condo Insulation

Hi, I bought a condo that "shares" a wall with the condo next door. Would insulation in this shared wall be for soundproofing rather than temperature control, since on the other side of the wall is a dwelling, not the outdoors?

Thanks!

Reply to
FE

My experience is that good old fiberglass insulation is a pretty lousy sound barrier. More likely it's there so that each condo "keeps" the heat it's paying for.

temperature

Reply to
Curmudgeon

This is Turtle.

They would insulate the wall between condo's because of heat lost or gain. This is the number one reason but Insulation does have some sound proofing quality to it. A example of this is what if a next door condo fellow likes to run his air conditioner on 90ºF for the summer months. You have a un insulated wall with 90ºF heat coming into your apartment. The same is for the heating season too.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Is the neighbor interested in soundproofing and sharing the cost? It may be that your condo documents don't allow you to make a change - in ours, we own up to the interior, "unfinished" wall. ie, the space and fixtures. Your condo board or management company may have a good contractor. Doubtful they would pay for "optional" work, but if they are unusually friendly may share the cost. I'd write 'em a nice letter and see if you can get them to help. At least should get their permission (depending on your documents ).

Reply to
norminn