soundproofing condo door

I'm trying to figure out a way to seal my condo door. I've tried all kinds of different weatherstripping but none of them are thin enough not to jam the door when it's closed. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Reply to
boxedin

Are you trying to seal the door for weatherization or for sound? How much sound do you get and what is it from?

If it's for weatherization, your door seems pretty tight.

If it is sound, is there glass in the door. They let more sound through.

If it's a cheap door, the sound might just be coming through the door

-- sort of like the board on the back of a guitar. Try this as a test. Take a mop or a chair or something and lean it against the door after covering the contact point with a few layers or cloth or a pillow. That will stop the door from vibrating. If that lowers the noise, it might be time for a new door.

Otherwise, I think more info would be helpful.

Reply to
Pat

The building is new (a year old). It's the door to the hallway. I'm finding far too much sound is getting in and out of the condo to and from the hallway. I can see the gaps in the door to the frame. Not huge but enough for sound to flow. There's very little room to add anything without jamming the door, especially since the gaps vary depending on where you're looking (top or side).

I think everyone in the building has the same problem. When I walk down the hallway I can hear music, dishes clinking in the kitchen and conversations on a regular basis. There must be something that can go around the door that would be enough to block the sound, or at least some of it, and not jam the door. Thanks again.

Reply to
boxedin

Tap the door. Does it sound hollow?

I don't know too much about door, but someone here will. Are there any labels on it (usually on the hinged edge)? Is it wood or metal? Does it say it is (or is not) fire rated?

Reply to
Pat

On 15 Sep 2006 08:30:45 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "boxedin" quickly quoth:

My preferred w/s is the metal channel with vinyl bead which attaches to the door frame (stops) outside the door. (see link) This style also helps keep doors from slamming as loudly. Alternatively, you could install kerfed stops + beading or those with beading built in.

the whole set! + Website design and graphics =========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques