call blocker device suggestions?

Page 2 of 9
On Sunday, March 29, 2015 at 8:48:30 AM UTC-5, G. Ross wrote:

On 3/29/2015 9:40 AM, Big_Al wrote:

calls of this type.
I have been using it for some time on Cablevision (Optonline).It is free but only works with certain phone systems so try it if you can.
On 3/29/2015 12:11, Zaidy036 wrote:

In order to use NoMoRobo your phone service needs to have a "follow-me" where incoming calls will ring on your phone and other predetermined phones simultaneously. NoMoRobo keeps a database of "undesired" numbers and when such a number shows up on your caller ID the call gets answered by NoMoRobo, so you hear only one ring. It doesn't intercept all undesirable calls, but it's a good start -- and it's free.
On Sunday, March 29, 2015 at 11:06:42 PM UTC-5, Bob wrote:

Monotonous is excellent and free if your carrier supports simultaneous 2 number ringing AND you can live with a single annoying ring for each nuisance caller it recognizes.
On Sun, 29 Mar 2015 09:40:33 -0400, Big_Al wrote:

They stop ringing when the call is blocked, unless they're on a second phone line (i.e., a different phone number).
--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)

On 3/29/2015 8:12 AM, bill ashford wrote:

We just don't answer and let call go to voice mail where message is seldom left.
Probably useless to try to block as numbers are often forged. I've had a couple of calls that gave my number as the caller.
On 3/29/2015 9:12 AM, Frank wrote:

I do something similar as well but on my cellphone since we don't use a land line anymore.
What I've been doing for years is I left a voice mail message which clearly states I don't answer my phone unless I recognize the number. Therefore, leave a message and I will return the call. If you do not leave a message, you will never reach me. Obviously, I input info for friends, family, businesses and acquaintances so I know who is calling. I also registered with the "Do Not Call" registry. Will it stop machine auto-calls, most likely not since I have seen a number from Florida and Oregon a few times, but infrequent. Overall, I think it works well and I don't receive any unwanted calls very often.
Meanie wrote on 3/29/2015 11:18 AM:

I just upgraded my old flip phone, pay as you go phone, do nothing phone to a new android based v4.4.2 phone. Really nice upgrade. I got next to zero calls on that phone, and now on the new phone (same number) I'm starting to get 2 or so a week. So somewhere in contacting T-Mobile and getting that sim card I needed and moving the plan from pay as you go to monthly caused an trigger. I suspect I'm going to get more and more junk calls as news travels that I have a new phone. So much for privacy!
On 29-Mar-2015 11:25, Big_Al wrote:

Would this help?
Fed up with getting nuisance calls from telemarketers or your ex-boyfriend? You can automatically block unwanted calls.
- In Samsung's (this will vary slightly, depending on your Android phone) , open the Phone app and tap Call Settings > Call Rejection > Auto Reject List.
- In iOS 8, go to Settings > Phone > Blocked, or go to your list of recent calls, click on the “Info” button next to the number and then scroll down to "Block this caller".

I have a prepaid flip phone, which I dont use very much. It's mostly just for emergency use. I was accumulating too many minutes, (since I have to buy more minutes every 3 months, whether I need them or not).
The phone does have very basic internet ability, so I can get weather info, get emails, connect to Google, and go to basic websites. However, it will NOT play videos on Youtube, or load an Ebay page, or anything like that. It does have a built in FACEBOOK icon, and I refuse to use Facebook on my computer, knowing they invade privacy, etc.
But I signed up for Facebook on the phone, just to be able to have minumal access to a few out of state relatives that have been begging me to join Facebook. I figured that if it became a problem, all I would have to do was buy a new flip phone, to change the number, and those phones are regularly on sale for $12.
Within a few days after signing up with Facebook, I began getting calls from unknown sources, which were usually hangup calls. (I dont normally leave my cellphone turned on). And using FB to contact the people I wanted, was slower than using a dialup connection on a computer, (with all the overloaded crap on FB). Soon, I was using up all the spare minutes on my phone, just waiting for something to load.
The amount of "UNKNOWN" calls continued to increase, yet I only had 3 people that I know, subscribed (Friends) on FB.
I unsubscribed to FB, and most of those "UNKNOWN" calls ceased. That was at least 2 years ago. I still have that same phone and rarely get unknown calls now. Rather than waste my time on FB, I just use up my spare minutes CALLING those relatives now, and it's much more personal and enjoyable!
On 3/29/2015 8:12 AM, Frank wrote:

+1. Have the numbers you care about in "contacts." The phone buzzing can be annoying but... better than dealing with them...
OP...Get on the do-not-call-list.
On 03/29/2015 08:12 AM, Frank wrote:
[snip]

I normally don't respond to calls with these on caller ID, since they are usually junk calls: I do have an answering machine.
1. blocked.
2. NAME is the same as the number.
3. NAME is 'V' plus some number.
4. NAME is excessively ambiguous (such as "IEM", "CSW INC", or "cust serv" if I don't know the company).
5. city and state (especially with unfamiliar are code).
6. unfamiliar business.
7. charities (they seem to think my money is theirs, and won't shut up about it).
I've had a few in that 4th category, that were valid calls. I do listen to the answering machine. Junk callers almost never leave a message.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Hey Bill,
have a look at this one: https://www.phonetray.com/
It's call Phone Tray and I've been using it like, forever (Windows 95 :-)). The features are unbeatable (you can block an entire area code, but still allow only numbers you want to receive from that area code.
I may add that I'm not in anyway associated with this company, just a very pleased customer of the product.
Note: They offer a service that automatically adds known telemarkters to a master list at a small fee, but I don't have a need for anytning like that so I turned off that service after the free trial expired, to stop the annoying reminders to renew the subscription.
It's worth a look!
--
Zo

There was a man who entered a local paper's pun contest.

I like it. There is only one problem. It would cost me almost $10/month. I do not have caller ID. The charge for it runs almost $10/month.
Someday FiOS will arrive. Then caller ID will be included,
I am fully aware of Voice over IP. I am not interested.
Per Don Wiss:

We have the most basic, el-cheapo phone service over FiOS and CallerID would still be an extra cost (which I am currently too cheap to pay).
--
Pete Cresswell

Oh. I will have to see just what is offered here, when it gets here.
On 03/29/2015 09:27 PM, Don Wiss wrote:

Regular caller ID doesn't work when you're already on the phone (when you get call waiting). Verizon made you pay for a THIRD service to get it.

I have Suddenlink phone. It does include caller ID and call waiting (and they DO work together).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

That's okay. I have two voice lines, the second being a rollover line. So I would not have call waiting. PhoneTray does handle two lines.
Wiring could get a little complicated. I have a Panasonic PBX. I have extra wires to my office. I can run the CO lines up to my office, into the modem that PhoneTray requires. But will I need two modems? I'm not going to bother figuring it out until FiOS arrives.