Call blockers

I got a Pro Call Blocker and found it lacking. Very poor instructions. Erased contacts without my telling it to. Wouldn't pass calls to telephone system when in series. Many other problems. I sent it back today.

Any suggestions for a better one?

I may be wong but I'm afraid these gadgets may not be as helpful as we would hope. I would think the computer programs telemarketers use would change their fake caller id if a call was blocked until it goes through. I would think life would be much better if the No Call List was enforced and phone companies protected against fake caller ids and perhaps blocked ids.

What do you think?

TIA

Reply to
KenK

nomorobo works for me.

Visit

Dan Espen

KenK has brought this to us :

Change your # and unlist it. The new landline phones have a # block button that works. Caller ID gives you the choice of answering the call or ignoring it.

Reply to
Eagle

If the FCC would start to fine the phone networks for every call when these f**kin a**holes use their "service", they'd find a way to cut them off tomorrow

Reply to
Shade Tree Guy

Even with NMR, I still get a dozen calls a week, even after blocking 20 different numbers from some of the persistent telemarketers

Reply to
Shade Tree Guy

I got one and I love it. Well, I like it. Instructions are piss poor and the user interface is worse. But, it deals with calls that I have programmed in, and then they seem to stop calling. I get new ones, but fewer, and then I program those in too.

Reply to
taxed and spent

"Eagle" wrote in news:n6m6vj$58b$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

My number was never listed. I still get calls.

Details?

My phone and answering machine don't display them. My answering machine says the ID but too fast to remember and write down (it saves the id and repeats it if there ia a message but the telemarketers hang up as soon as the my answering message comes on and it's obviously an answering machine). And besides, I'm not sitting there waiting for a ring.

Reply to
KenK

I've been saying that for years. The government and phone company have to know where these calls are coming from and how to stop them. Their do not call lists are a joke.

Worse thing for me are the junk faxes because it costs me paper and ink.

Otherwise I don't answer my land line that has the fax and use caller id on ViOP phone and answering machine to deal with others.

Reply to
Frank

I agree with what Dan said about nomorobo.

Nomorobo explains how their system works by requiring the incoming call to ring two phone numbers simultaneously, their system number and your phone number, to determine if the incoming call is a robo-call. If the call is a robo-call you will only hear that one ring.

We had an 8 or 10 year old Panasonic cordless phone system that we recently replaced with a new Panasonic cordless phone system. The new phone has the option to allow, or not, the first ring of an incoming call. With that option activated we don't even hear the first ring anymore.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I must be blessed. Close to 100% effective here. The best part is being in the shower, or otherwise occupied and hearing that single ring followed by silence. Telemarketers can get through, so far, nothing is perfect, but I know I hear at least 9 blocked calls for every one using some kind of fake number that can't be blocked. Only 3 today (so far).

Reply to
Dan Espen

Any form, website or company that requires a phone number gets my landline number. Any person or entity that I trust and *want* to hear from gets my cell phone number.

My landline phone has a built-in answering machine, i.e. not voicemail. I *never* answer my landline because no call to that number ever needs immediate attention.

Rough (made up) numbers:

90% of the time the landline rings and no message is left after the machine announces the default "We are not available" message.

10% of the time, a message is left and I deal with it at my convenience. Since it's a regular answering machine, i.e. not voicemail, it's just a matter of a few buttons to listen, skip, erase, etc. I don't have to dial in to voicemail and listen to annoying voice prompts to handle the messages.

On my cell phone, if I don't recognize the number (rare) I just let it go to voicemail and check it later.

My system seems to be working because I am not bothered by telemarketers or robo-calls on my cell phone and I just delete the few that end up on my landline answering machine.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I do the same thing with both land line and cell phone.

Occasionally, I'll get a call on the land line and the caller ID will show my husbands name on it, but he's sitting in the living room watching tv. How can someone spoof his name like that?

Reply to
Muggles
[snip]

How does it determine if its a robo-call? If by number, then its useless for the vast majority of calls I'm getting now (they keep changing the number they're "calling from").

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Possible evidence that your husband has been taken over by the "pod people"?

Reply to
Shade Tree Guy

any common sysop can explain that to you. Oh wait you claim to have been one, then you should know.

Reply to
burfordTjustice

There's nothing to stop a machine from just dialing every number in a given exchange and "hoping for a sucker"!

Also, even if you've not listed a number, if you've given it out (to a business, UPS, etc.) then it's probably leaked out to some database, somewhere (with your NAME tied to it!)

Exactly. You need to be sitting there waiting for the ring and THEN making a decision as to whether or not YOU should be "bothered" by this call! (i.e., don't even let me HEAR the ring!!)

Reply to
Don Y

And, should ISP's be fined for delivering unwanted email? Who decides what is "unwanted"?

The best market driven solution is to charge a fee -- payable to the recipient! -- to deliver the call. The recipient can then *waive* that fee (press '*', etc.).

So, friends/folks you want to hear from you learn to press '*' as a matter of common courtesy. If you forget, you promptly call them back and "ding" yourself for a call -- which cancels out the call for which you negligently billed them!

Telemarketers can factor that cost into the price of their wares. Unwanted contacts would have to find some way to *induce* you to waive the fee; if you simply hang up on them, they get dinged!

Let the phone company get a commission on these charges -- for the service they have provided.

Reply to
Don Y

It's no different than any other blacklisting technology -- except, that

*you* don't have to maintain the blacklist!

As telemarketers adapt, they'll randomize their use of spoofing numbers more and any "common" database (e.g., like this) will loose its effectiveness.

You'll also see more obvious attempts to steal the *entire* contents of your address book (think about your smart phone that is infectable!) for lists of "valid" phone numbers.

What happens when TelemarketerInc starts using your Mom's phone number in their CID spoofing? Not only will she not be able to call *you* but she'll also not be able to call anyone else who uses the service!

Additionally, it leaks all your "metadata" to a third party -- that may or may not be covered by any privacy legislation regarding "telephone carriers".

Reply to
Don Y

Go to their website and see for yourself.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

LOL

Reply to