call blocker device suggestions?

(PeteCresswell) posted for all of us...

No epi pen? No paramedic? When was this? Now most rigs have computers with lat/long corresponding to address' and GPS to track vehicle movement.

I call BS on at least this one. Not sure about the others. When was this? Why would they ask these questions? No need or legality for SS number. If this happened lately get a copy of the recorded 911 call and give it to a reporter. May require an attorney. If it went to Mayberry they may just have a phone answerer. That is why PSAP's were established.

Malvern, that would be Chester County? Raise hell with the county commissioners. They get a buck out of every phone bill for 911 services. PSAP = Public Safety Answering Point per Federal Communications Commissio n. Ask to take take a tour. You ain't out in the boonies there; demand better.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Per Tekkie®:

No BS.

It was back in 1998.

Since you call BS on the socsec, I would have to question my own recollection..... but the birthdate/age thing is absolutely 100%.

Why would *anybody* ask *any* questions when somebody might be dying - except "Where are they?".... My first guess would be incompetence on the part of the people who set up the procedures/system.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Per Tekkie®:

Again, it was some years back.

For the most recent "experience" with 911:

- Wife got home, sat down at the kitchen table, "Something's seriously wrong, call 911".

This is somebody who chooses not to have Novocain when getting her teeth drilled because she'd rather not have the wearing-off period. If something's wrong... it's *Really* wrong and if something is seriously wrong, it's even worse.

- Called 911, answered a lot of questions, told my story.

- Ambulance from the local fire company arrives about 20 minutes later, parks on the street instead of coming up the driveway - putting them about 100' from the house.

- Two morbidly-obese men (as in 300# plus) in their thirties start to waddle across the lawn - just carrying bags, no gurney.

- I tell them go get the gurney - that there's somebody in there dying fer chrissake.

- They look at me like I'm crazy and say that they have to assess the person's condition.... but one of the reluctantly waddles back to the vehicle and reluctantly unloads the gurney.

- Eventually they get her to Paoli Hospital where one doc told her that she had two pulmonary embolisms: one in each lung and she should not be alive.

I have been putting off talking to whoever is in charge at the local fire company until I cool down. I don't want to wind up ranting and cursing at the guy.... but I am not sure I will ever get to that frame of mind.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Wow! Count your lucky stars. PE's are usually deadly and many times even getting the patient to the hospital ASAP can't save them. I recall one instance of someone getting to the ER, getting admitted, looking like they were very much improving and then they just died even though the docs thought they were out of danger.

Good idea to wait to cool down. In those sorts of situations perceptions can be seriously skewed - IOW they might not really have been as plodding and incompetent as it seemed at the time. Best wishes to your wife. I suspect she's going to be taking some new meds in the future.

Reply to
Robert Green

I would think one reason they might want to get info like the patient's name, age, DOB, SS# is so that if they are able to get the info, then they have it in case the person is unconscious, never regains consciousness, etc. Some calls could be from some citizen on the street who has some of that, could ask the person before they pass out, etc. Later they could be gone, the info not available.

You seem to acknowledge that yourself. What you're assuming is that the go order hasn't already been given to the response team while the 911 operator is getting the additional info. That might be true, but we really don't know how the system is set up.

Reply to
trader_4

(PeteCresswell) posted for all of us...

The medics would like any info they can get going in. Also the county may put it in the database so it can be used for future calls, hearing impaired, disabled, no mobility, etc.

The computer aided dispatch system (CAD) wants the info so the call taker asks. It can help with determining the emergency and response. Pre-arrival instructions may be indicated and the call taker can give them. CPR, etc. While you are answering questions the dispatch is going out to the appropriate agency - PD, EMS, Fire while you are still on the line. Remember that most calls are not life threatening and answering what you consider unnecessary questions can actually help the victim. I understand the panic but what would you have done to help the victim? You hadn't started CPR?

I would encourage you to get a group together to schedule a tour of the call center. I presume Chesco offers them. You can actually see your tax dollars at work. Saturday mornings are usually good and avoid thunderstorms; too busy... Are you in the EPZ for Limerick?

Reply to
Tekkie®

(PeteCresswell) posted for all of us...

I am sorry to read your reply about your wife and hope she is doing better.

I would call and ask after you cool down. The medics probably went in with the AED and meds to assess the situation. They don't know the victims statu s and how your house is laid out. The stretcher can get in the way and if the poop hits the fan they will call for help, they will need it. A 20 minute o n

-scene time is unacceptable, especially for a priority call such as yours.

Also ask the police chief why they didn't respond. All medical calls in Montco are given to the PD's where their protocols determine the response. If they are busy that is another matter but a possible cardiac/stroke is a priority call. Manpower may be cited. Baloney. The chief determines the staffing. If more officers are needed support the municipal leaders to get them. If you are in PSP territory all bets are off. You get what you pay fo r

- zero.

All our cop cars have AED's in them and they go to all medical calls, even the extended care/geriatic centers. It provides advantages to the victim, family and incoming unit as they are trained to do an initial assessment.

I am sorry that your experiences with the 911 system are poor. Remember you are under a great deal of stress so circumstances are not what they seem.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Per Tekkie®:

I would agree the stress part but disagree that circumstances were not as bad as they seemed.

My impression was that these two guys were under no stress whatsoever - except for the 350-375 pounds they were waddling around with on their bodies - but I would be the last person to minimize or belittle that kind of 24-7 stress.

Having been obese in my younger years (265, unable to get off the ground without assistance), I can say with some authority that somebody that obese can be expected to function in a job where any sort of physical alacrity is needed.

I claim no experience in these matters besides being on the receiving end. But when time of the essence, I would expect one guy to get himself into the house ASAP to assess the situation and the other guy to follow as closely as possible pushing or carrying the gurney.

I would also expect the team to assume that time *is* of the essence until they determine otherwise.

I understand that it is not humanly possible to stay keyed up and maximally involved all day every day.... but I would say that they need to at least make some show of *trying* to look like they are at some level of involvement.

Can somebody offer up an explanation for them both coming into the house and then possibly having to spend another 10-15 minutes walking (waddling in this case) back to the vehicle to retrieve something that they could have brought with them the first time?

None of the explanations I can come up with sound very good...

Now I've got an IP camera aimed across the front lawn at the mailbox so I can see when the mailman comes while I'm working. Maybe if I live through the next iteration of 911, I'll be able to present something more tangible than my written rants.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)