Blood etc. on carpet? ? ?

We just had a disaster: During the night our dog had an attack of bloody diarrhea, and a good part of it wound up on a rather expensive rug.
Of course we will take the dog to the vet, but what emergency steps should we take before taking the rug to our local expert on rugs?
Ray Jenkins wrote:

I would saturate the soiled area with cool water, suck it up with wet vac. Repeat as needed. Be sure to flush and clean the vac when you are finished.
I once had a doctor tell me to use SALT water instead of plain water. He said that plain water tends to break down the blood cell walls where the salt water does not. It does seem to help a LITTLE.
Wayne

Use cold or cool water. Hot water can "cook" a blood stain and make it more permanent.

everything else)
http://www.fabriclink.com/Carpet/Carpetstain.html
Paging OJ!, Paging OJ!, blood stain removal advice needed in alt.home.repair
Get the initial 'stuff', then go for the blood stuff with a fresh container of hydrogen peroxide.

Ray Jenkins wrote:

I passed a truck on the way to work a couple weeks ago. Said "Crime Scene Cleaners" or similar on the side.
They show up after a crime/suicide and do that stuff that's never bothered with or thought about on TV.
Googling for those words might help.
You might give a local franchise a call.
Personally, I think they might be amused/relieved to deal with a "sick dog scene" vs. their regular grist.
Just a thought.
Ray:
RJ> We just had a disaster: During the night our dog had an attack of bloody RJ> diarrhea, and a good part of it wound up on a rather expensive rug. RJ> RJ> Of course we will take the dog to the vet, but what emergency steps should RJ> we take before taking the rug to our local expert on rugs? I would be cautious when using hydrogen peroxide on anything dyed -- I think it could bleach out. A solution made from carpet shampoo would be safer.
Hope the dog is OK!
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* Van Gogh Relatives: The brother who bleached clothes white: Hue Gogh
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971