a/c repair question

I have a 17 year old 3 ton system that has been fine until last week when tiny leaks were found in the air handler coil. I've been told by one repairman that we could simply replace the coil, and another has told me that since the line drop was made of 5/16" copper and all the new copper is

3/8", we need to replace the entire $ystem.

Who's right?

Reply to
J CASTRONOVO

"J CASTRONOVO" wrote

Neither and both.

If you just replace the coil, it's like putting a band-aid on the system. Why not just replace the entire sustem (inside and out). If it's 17 years old, you could put a 14 SEER system there and probably cut your cooling bill in half.

Have 3 different companies give you quotes (not estimates! QUOTES!) on a couple different brands and in a couple different SEERs (12, 14, 16). Ask your friends and neighbors who they would use. Don't worry about the brand as much as the installer. If a company does a great job (or should I say a CORRECT job), you could have it last you for a good 20 years or so.

Bottom line: Don't put any more money into the system you have now. A new one will pay for intself in no time....

Reply to
Red Neckerson

You could just replace the coil, but since your system is at end of the typical life for A/C if it were me I'd just replace the entire thing. Find a contractor other than the "repairman" who told you that you need to replace the entire system because of the lineset size. Either you misheard what he said or he is B.S.'ing you. The lineset size is determined by the manufacturer of the condenser and coil and has nothing to do with obsolesence or the EPA, even. After all, it worked for 17 years, didn't it?

Reply to
Travis Jordan

But you may enjoy the other components failing before you do sell. Some mayt be re-couped in resale value. Buyers like the confidence of knowing the AC is only a year or two old.

I've heard stories but have not seen it. Made more money last year than ever, will do even better this year and prospects are good for next year. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The home will sell much faster with a newer a/c unit in it.

Reply to
SQLit

Excellent advice. Replacing the system has nothing to do with the line size, but everything to do with being 17 years old. I'd replace the whole system, probably including the furnace.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

If you have to file for bankruptcy you won't have to pay your debts so you might as well go for it and get a new a/c out of it??

JMO

Dan O.

Reply to
Dan O.