bad plumbing news

Page 2 of 2
The first thing I would do is search the yellow pages for plumbers with video camera inspection capabilities. Call and ask how much to make you a tape of your line. You can then ask for 3 or 4 estimates from other plumbers to do the repairs BASED on their viewing the video tape and inspecting the premises.
PJX

Just last year one of my 35-year old fruitless mulberries destroyed my clay sewer line. They had planted the tree almost on top of the line and a 12 inch diameter root had grown over the pipe. There was a visible bump in the root where the pipe had been. Root growth cracked the pipe allowing water and 'nutrients' out and roots in. My plumber and his helper hand dug a 60' trench from house to street and replaced the clay line with 4" PVC. I hauled all the pipe segments to the dump and every one was as new except the cracked one which was full of wood.
Cost: trench/plumbing, $2200; tree removal, $250; stump grinding, $200; misc chain saw chains and sawzall blades, $100.
Did I mention that the week before I had just finished converting my yard from grass to desert landscape?
Good luck.
snipped-for-privacy@rocketmail.com (Philip Halverson) wrote:

Totally unfair to the tree. I hope you included a tee in the new line so that the tree can still get some nutrients.
--
David Meiland
Friday Harbor, WA

Why did you remove the tree at that point?
Dimitri
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:31:32 -0500, someone wrote:

Sheesh, THAT'S the least of your worries!
Even my small town yellow pages has numerous Paving Contractors listed. Of course it is always best to get recommendations, but you need to do that locally.
Here's a clue: will the plumber actually dig themselves (I doubt it). They will probably get an excavating contractor. See who they will be using, maybe they do paving and/or can recommend a paver.
A tip: the quality & durability of paving depends on the quality & compaction of the base. That's the excavator. If you backfill with crap, any paving you put over it won't last, the job is already spoiled and its too late. That's why it would be best to coordinate this from the get-go even if (understandably) the plumber himself wants nothing to do with a paving job, it not being their trade.
Be sure to wear safety glasses when using any caustic liquids!
-v

<snipped>
As others have said the camera is the first thing that you need.
I just had this done at a rental property. The original line ran under a garage so we moved the line. The city came out & moved the tap.
About 60 feet. I have a basement with drains so the line started out at 9 feet deep & went to 11 feet. My cost just under $5K.
I got 4 estimates including one from A.M.S/Roto-rooter- rip off- who tried to talk me into running a sleeve through the original line. (claimed it would be cheaper since we would't have to dig up the line). Their price- $7K.
I ended up with a local independent guy. $2K will buy a lot of sod.