bad plumbing news

I had a plumber here today that says I have to have my main line dug up & replaced. He tried for over an hour to use the roto-rooter thing, and then charged me nothing because he couldn't clear it.

So I believe him.

BUT--his company's estimate for digging this up (entails ruining my driveway and does NOT include the cost of replacing it!) was $6200!!!!!

I'm obviously going to call around first thing in the morning. This must be done, I can't use the plumbing at all!

Questions:

Has anyone lived through this nightmare before? Have you any advice for me? I've always worried that this was a scam perpetrated by plumbers but am less doubtful in my case as I've had plumbing problems for some time. The house is old (over 100 years) and the cast iron pipes are falling apart.

What did it cost you?

Who do I call to replace my asphalt driveway (sob)? How much might that cost? It's about 25 feet long, one car width.

Thanks. HELP!

Reply to
Betsy

Call another plumber. Also, you can have the inside of your line videotaped to see what is causing the blockage. My house is 75 years old and the cast iron was shot when I had it replaced last year.

$3000 for what's under the house and $7000 for the run from the house to the main.

No idea.

Other options are to just replace the portion of line that is broken or to use a trenchless sewer replacement (can only be done in some instances). The trenchless will cost more, but you will save having to put in a new driveway. Of course, if your driveway needs replacing soon anyway then maybe do it now.

Dimitri

Reply to
D. Gerasimatos

Other than that how was your day?

Reply to
Dick Smyth

Well, that was nice of him.

Just because he's a nice guy, doesn't make him right in his diagnosis.

Very smart. Look specifically for a company that has a remote camera diagnosis system and knows how to use it.

Maybe, maybe not. A camera is the smart way to be sure. Replacing the main line may or may not fix the problem, or may be way overkill.

Look in the yellow pages under paving.

Reply to
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

had that happen to my parents house and grandparents house the same year. My grandparents house the bill was about $2k. All that needed fixing was a collapsed distribution box in the leaching field. Grandma never noticed before she died as she was living alone in a five bedroom home. parents house we noticed for about a year prior to having it diagnosed. Mostly it manifested as slow draining from the shower, and once in a while, it backed up in the downstairs bathroom. Problem was that the leaching field got all messed up with tree roots from the trees the town had planted along the road to add shade to the road. it unfortunately triggered the state septic system law, and we had to replace the whole system to bring it up to current code. Both houses were built in 1969 and 70 by the same buiilder.

Talk to the excavator person. They will often suggest a reasonable contractor. The plumbing contractor may include patching the driveway in the overall cost, so ask.

--Dale

Reply to
Dale Farmer

We had a sewer lateral failure a couple of years ago, also under a driveway. We had a company replace it using the trenchless method--one small excavation at the house and one at the street, and then a new pipe is pulled in through the old one. Cost was $3000 and it ran about

50 feet. It was done in one day and then I poured new concrete to replace the areas where they demo'd to excavate. Look in the yellow pages under 'sewer contractors' and see who has trenchless equipment. It's fairly new in residential repair and lots of contractors are getting into it and you should find that there's plenty of competition.

In the meantime, you need to stay somewhere else.

Reply to
David Meiland

Rotten. In trying to clean out the main line with sulfuric acid (toilet was off & I was pouring it down the pipe) I splashed it on my face, even though I knew the dangers and have used it before and was being very careful.

I had the main water turned off because the valve shutting off the inflow to the toilet doesn't shut off completely. So in agony I dashed to the basement to turn on the water, knowing full well that I'd have some "leakage" to clean up when I got back upstairs.

I threw as much water on my face as I could before I dashed back downstairs to turn off the water. I knew I was in trouble when I saw water dripping into the basement through the cracks in the floor.

As I rushed upstairs the water met me running down the stairs. I cleaned up as quick as I could while I phoned the doctor to see what to do. Meantime, I was in real pain!

I hied me to the ER as commanded where I will now probably owe a fortune for the minimal treatment received.

The good news? It missed my eyes.

The other bad news? The plumber broke the main stack as he was routing it out.

This is all true, I lie not.

So, how was your day?

Reply to
Betsy

Betsy, You need a huge hug, girl! And a good cry....I'm sending a cyber one your way. (a stiff drink would help as well......)

Art..............

snipped-for-privacy@croton10520.com

Reply to
art

Where I live, the town is responsible for everything before the water meter. Give your town a call and find out.

Reply to
Mark

I was under the assumption he was talking about the water feed line? Maybe not...

Reply to
Mark

You say your main line runs under the driveway, does the replacement line need to take the same route or can it be re-installed alongside it, causing minimal or no driveway damage?

If the line runs to the street, consider replacing the probably-just-as-old water main as a package deal.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

yes I had the same thing almost. The main plumbing line to the street needed to be dug up and a six foot piece of the pipe replaced. They were able to locate the place that needed to be dug up so they didnt need to dig up anything other than the right spot. Also in wisconsin so the pipe was like 10 feet of so underground. The had do remove a small patch of concrete sidewalk and replace it. They also installed a cleanout. Total cost 1300 dollars. It took one full day and some small touch up the next day. They even put sod over the grass they removed badger state plumbing eau claire wisconsin

Reply to
George Macomber

The first thing I would do is search the yellow pages for plumbers with video camera inspection capabilities. Call and ask how much to make you a tape of your line. You can then ask for 3 or 4 estimates from other plumbers to do the repairs BASED on their viewing the video tape and inspecting the premises.

PJX

Reply to
PJx

We're discussing a sewer outlet main here, not a water inlet main. I sure hope your sewer main has nothing to do with your water meter!

Reply to
Jonathan Kamens

It looks like we're discussing both. Others are clearly quoting prices from having their main feed replaced.

Reply to
Mark

Thanks. I've been remarkably peaceful about the whole thing (power of prayer!) but did manage to break into tears in the emergency room because I was so embarrassed :(

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I'm going to start making calls right now!

Reply to
Betsy

Just last year one of my 35-year old fruitless mulberries destroyed my clay sewer line. They had planted the tree almost on top of the line and a 12 inch diameter root had grown over the pipe. There was a visible bump in the root where the pipe had been. Root growth cracked the pipe allowing water and 'nutrients' out and roots in. My plumber and his helper hand dug a 60' trench from house to street and replaced the clay line with 4" PVC. I hauled all the pipe segments to the dump and every one was as new except the cracked one which was full of wood.

Cost: trench/plumbing, $2200; tree removal, $250; stump grinding, $200; misc chain saw chains and sawzall blades, $100.

Did I mention that the week before I had just finished converting my yard from grass to desert landscape?

Good luck.

Reply to
Philip Halverson

only thing I've ever heard of roto-rooters being used on was sewerage lines.

--Dale

Reply to
Dale Farmer

Totally unfair to the tree. I hope you included a tee in the new line so that the tree can still get some nutrients.

Reply to
David Meiland

Sheesh, THAT'S the least of your worries!

Even my small town yellow pages has numerous Paving Contractors listed. Of course it is always best to get recommendations, but you need to do that locally.

Here's a clue: will the plumber actually dig themselves (I doubt it). They will probably get an excavating contractor. See who they will be using, maybe they do paving and/or can recommend a paver.

A tip: the quality & durability of paving depends on the quality & compaction of the base. That's the excavator. If you backfill with crap, any paving you put over it won't last, the job is already spoiled and its too late. That's why it would be best to coordinate this from the get-go even if (understandably) the plumber himself wants nothing to do with a paving job, it not being their trade.

Be sure to wear safety glasses when using any caustic liquids!

-v