Appliance Service Call Prices...WOW

Page 2 of 2
Luca wrote:

You could probably have saved some money by taking the refrigerator to the service department...

trunk.
This summer I had all sorts of things break around my house. I knew how to fix everything myself and spent around 2k on parts for this and that.
I can't imagine how much I would have had to pay if I called for pros to fix everything. I'm sure glad I am a "mechanical" type...
"Luca" wrote in message

I retired 10 years ago but even then I wouldn't start my car for less than $100 and I was the cheapest guy in town.

I had a rooter style plumber come over to rotorroot a toiler and it turned out to be a bad toilet. (the toilet was falling apart internally, so I didn't feel bad about replacing it)
His only avaiable charges were $120 drain clean, a $400 toilet, etc. I did the job myself, and tossed him $50 under the table as a diagnostic payment.

Exactly the reason to start fixing things yourself. The more you do it, the better you get. The younger you start, the more you learn, and the simpler the tasks tend to be.
When I fixed my icemaker, it cost me a few $ for a plastic gear.

RepairClinic,com is your friend...among others.

Typical. Most places charge similar rates. Included in that price is travel time, the van, insurance, fuel, wages, benefits, telephone, dispatcher, parts inventory, rent for the office, taxes, health insurance, etc. Sure, they make a profit, but not as much as most people think.
I use service labor frequently and the cheapest I pay is $65 an hour. Most are $80 to $100. The most expensive are the service techs for our machines that have to come from Austria. $1200 a work day, $800 per travel day, plus expenses. We can usually get a break on airfare as it may be split amongst two or three other companies they visit.
Luca wrote:

Poo!
Have you checked the rates for "Exotic Services" in Craigslist?
$180 for a half-hour!
There oughta be a law!

I had a guy come and look at my oven. $79 service charge. Wanted $500 for a new motherboard. I pulled the oven out, got to the tech sheet, plugged in the oven, got the error code, and fixed it myself for $49. It was the automatic lock on the self clean. I also got back my service call money, after threatening to take them to the local TV station.
Steve

Thank you for affirming my decision to buy a stove with no electronics, no motherboard, no touch screens or buttons. It does have a fan for the convection though.
I'm with you. That sounds like the kind of stove I'd have in my house. Actually, I have a Whirlpool washing machine the last folks left. In 1994. It needed the motor oiled, and then about 8 years later, the motor needed oiling, again. I still use it, to this day.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
wrote in message

Ditto here. Just give me plain old valves, and maybe ONLY an electronic timer and clock. But this had everything tied together electronically, even the self clean feature, which was what malfunctioned. I'll gladly flip a lever and pay $100 less. Nowadays, you really have to look for a stove with no electronics. Even the gas have electronic sparkers. I've just about decided to go with propane range top or range/stove, then a separate oversize electric oven.
Steve

I have not been able to find an oven without a touch panel and electronic thermostat controls. I am still nursing along my old whirlpool oven with the mechanical clock/timer and real knobs on the front.

This is mine. http://www.bertazzoni-italia.com/Product/detail.aspx?CatID=PS&IDG
Knob for start and temperature collection, knob for light and convection. One burner had two knobs, one for extreme high, the other for extreme low, or both can be used together.
No timer, no control panel an circuit board.
wrote in message

Ditto ditto ditto.
I purchased a rebuilt washer and dryer from a recycle org some years back. They provide 30 day warranty with appliances and have a great reputation. I had the option of choosing a pair of plain jane turn the dial ones or a pair with electronic controls for the same price - $250pr. I took the dial ones.
Some years later the dial on the washer went bad. Looked up price for new one - like $105 + tax and shipping. Entire rebuilt washer only 125. Suddenly occured to me if the place rebuilds them they may have parts around. Call, tell them I bought it there, they say they have one dial, I says how much, he says how 'bout $14 total.
Shit happens. Sometimes even good shit.