1. When it's 105 out and I've just come out of your attic please
do not offer me anything to drink. Us heating and air techs have a
special gene that lets us recycle our sweat when licked of off our
bodies in a timely manner. Heat stroke is a Zen experience!
2. By all means tell me that you want to pay my after hours fee
and then wait till I'm five minutes from your house and call and
cancel. We have a special deal with the gas companies where we only
pay half price.
3. When I tell you that a part costs x dollars, please exclaim as
loud as you can "For that!" There are no overhead costs associated
with running our business, that's why it's called HVAC. You know,
heating, ventilating and charity.
4. When I tell you the price for a new system, please tell me how
Joe down the street just got one for half that price. I'm just
curious, did Joe get the Ford model or the Mercedes model or did
BillyBobs heating, ventilating and charity install said system?
5. When I tell you the price of a new system, please tell me how
you can get one off of that internet thingy for half price. Those
internet models install and warranty themselves I heard.
6. When I tell you the price of a new system, please tell me that
you want to get a quote from 10 other companies and make a decision
five years from now. Our business is inflation proof.
7. When I show you the problem with your system and you're
standing right there, please tell me you want to call 5 more companies
for a second opinion. All these certifications we have mean absolutely
8. When I ask you who put your system in and you tell me a friend
of a friend so your cheap ass could save money, please get mad as hell
when I tell you that that's what happens when you hire hacks. Oh wait,
that's right, you hired BillyBobs heating, ventilating and charity. So
sorry I insulted you, my bad.
9. When I disable your system because your heat exchanger is
cracked, please go completely off and tell me what a crook I am. If I
don't hear what a crook I am at least once a day I start getting a
complex. Besides, I heard that a little carbon monoxide, in moderation
of course, is a Zen experience.
10. When I have you scheduled for 10:00 and you are not there,
please expect me to wait an hour while you do whatever it is you have
to do. You are the only customer I have that day and I have nothing
better to do anyway.
11. When you see my van driving down the road, please do
everything you can to impede my progress. We all attended the Skip
Barber racing school and you are helping us keep our driving skills up
to par without having to go back and pay that damn racing school for a
refresher course each year.
12. Please answer your door in the most revealing clothing you
have and then offer to pay for the service call by "unconventional"
means. Hey, all of us have screwed up marriages anyway, we only
married our wives out of charity.
13. Please argue with me about how much the office said the
service charge would be. I've only worked for said company four years
anyway, what the hell do I know.
14. When I am looking at your system, please have your engineer
neighbor there so he can make suggestions every 2.5 seconds. After
all, all of these certifications we have, well, we had to eat a lot of
cracker jacks to get them.
15. After I have just fixed your system, please fiddle with the
thermostat and turn it off. It's ok because we all have ESP and will
know that you just turned the thermostat off. Besides, I really didn't
want to give you the "complete system evaluation" that you're paying
16. When I tell you that your system is low on refrigerant and
will need 5 lbs, please ask me to add only two pounds so you can save
some money. You have a special system that will cool without the
required amount of refrigerant, all I have to do is throw the kaniflin
valve counter clockwise and this will allow the system to run
correctly and as an added bonus will seal the leak wherever it is.
17. When I tell you that your duct work is improperly sized,
please ask me why someone would do that. I can surely answer that
question because as I said earlier, we all have ESP.
18. When I ask you to explain what your system is doing or not
doing, please start out with "it was working yesterday" with the tone
in your voice like you expected it to ring you up and let you know
that at exactly 5:04 tomorrow it's going to croak.
19. Please do everything you can to get me to warranty something
that is not covered under your warranty. Remember, I am running a
charity, not a business.
20. When I am diagnosing why your new system does not heat or cool
properly, please start out with "well the salesman said…" That's why
they are called salesmen!