Finding appliance repair service?

I've tried several of the more obvious well advertised local repair services and found very bad reviews including Sears.

I generally Googled appliance repair reviews in my city and found very few reviews, usually bad. Of course the services have reviews on their web sites, all excellent naturally.

How can I find a good service to repair or replace my oven? I'm too old and feeble to remove it and try to repair it myself.

My previous repairman, excellent, unfortunately has retired. His phone is disconnected so I can't ask him for a recommendation.

Another problem is the oven is a Gaffers and Sattlers obsolete unit. Though evidently parts are still available according to ads I've seen.

I'm getting desparate.

Suggestions? Maybe find a used appliance dealer and just get it replaced and the old one hauled away?

TIA

Reply to
KenK

I have no idea how good this outfit is but allegedly the techs they use are trained.

I'd ask the neighbors about their experience with any local appliance dealers.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Try doing some research on the Yelp.com web site. In my experience, the review process has integrity.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

One of our sons had a problem with a Samsung dish washer and could not find repairman even though under warranty. He finally googled up a video on how to make the repair, bought the part, did it himself and sent the bill to them for the part.

Reply to
Frank

Swing by your local Habitat for Humanity or similar quality resale shop. Ask them who they use - or they mighteven have a volunteer on their staff who might take on the job.

(Offer to pay, of course. Either directly or as an extra donation...)

Reply to
danny burstein

I'd start by figuring out if it's worth repairing. That would involve how old it is, what shape it's in, how much a new one would cost to replace it. I'd figure it's probably at least $150 to fix it. Is it one with just, or mostly, mechanical controls? Or is one with touchscreen controls? The older style, any parts needed are pretty basic, eg a switch. The newer ones have display, circuit boards and one of those could easily be $200 or more just for the part. Factor in labor, you're at $300+ to fix it. But with any oven, you could get lucky, it could just be a shorted wire, element, etc which probably fits into the $150 scenario. Or you could pay $100 to get someone out only to have them tell you it's $400 to fix it. Is it worth it? Depends on how good of an oven it is and what a replacement one would cost. You can also look online at appliance parts stores, find your oven and see what the various parts are, to get an idea of what's involved and what they cost. That would be the online cost, a repair guy is likely to charge more.

You say you can't remove and work on it yourself. If someone else, like a handyman type removed it, could you then work on it? If you have the skills, a meter, that could be an option.

Reply to
trader_4

I can attest to Sears repair ppl being scam artists. My mom's refrigerator went out and the repair guy offered to replace an itty-bitty motor (which failed) for a mere $275USD! He also offered to do the same thing if my mom paid him $75, directly, and he'd charge only $75USD for the motor.

Buyer, beware!

nb

Reply to
notbob

measure space, note connections needed, go to Home Depot or some other box store, find unit that you like that matches space and connections needed, talk to sales person about delivery/removal of existing unit. they have people who do all this kind of thing on a regular basis and so far we've had no problems going this way.

we had to wait for a refrigerator to be shipped from Korea. after 20yrs of old refrigerator we could wait a few more weeks. for the price and less hassle involved and also the less electricity used it has been worth it.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Stormin' Norman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

If I recall correctly tried there yesterday with no success. Tried Angie's list too, but after selecting a membership type and entering name, etc. the 'Submit' button didn't have any effect. Finally gave up.

Reply to
KenK

danny burstein wrote in news:opp6i0$nab$ snipped-for-privacy@reader2.panix.com:

Interesting idea. Will have to find them here. Unfortunately, if I recall, they are way out in the bookdocks. many many miles from me.

Reply to
KenK

What OS and browser are you using? If it's badly out of date, that could be the problem. Internet link OK and reliable, ie everything else is working?

Reply to
trader_4

trader_4 wrote in news:76586b26-c871-44b8-adda- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Firefox 52-3-0. Windows XP Home. Yes, everything else I use works.

Reply to
KenK

Ken, what part of the country are you in? It is possible someone in the group might be able to offer a referral. Hell, if you are close enough to me, I will bring one of my sons or grandsons and we will help you ourselves.

Also, with sites such as Angies List and Yelp, you might need to disable your ad blocking extensions in order to get them to work properly.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

I just saw an ad for Home Advisor. Supposedly free. I don't know a thing about them.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Generally, most of the information you can find on the manufacturer's website, and see if a serviceman can visit your home to repair your appliance.

From next time, please we aware to buy only those appliances, which have good reviews and have service centers in your area.

Reply to
cjacob

Stormin' Norman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

SW AZ

Blocking extensions? I don't think I have any. Except Kaspersky? It could be blocking my submission to Angie's list but when it does something like that it puts up a window telling me about it.

Reply to
KenK

I am in the San Diego area, so that would be a bit of a drive.

Wayne Boatright is in Phoenix, maybe he can recommend someone? Wayne???

Have you visited a local appliance store to see if they can recommend someone?

I think you are using Firefox, if so, go to your add-ons and see if you have something like Ad Block plus or uBlock installed.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

OK. Anyhow, by the time I put you up at a motel it'd be cheaper to buy a new oven.

See above.

Hmmm. Didn't think of that. However, seems like they'd be talking me out of buying from them instead.

Reply to
KenK