A Test for young people

Page 2 of 9

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 12:31:58 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

But if they're paying the customers, that works in the gas station's favor!

Got a frantic call from a customer one day - she had locked the keys in herTE52 Corolla SR5 at Wtarloo park. I quickly went over with the "tools of the trade" and "reached through the open sunroof and retrieved her keys"
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 04:51:00 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa
[snip]

I knew someone who had a problem because she had gotten too used to the electric car door locks. She had left a door open all night, so the battery was low. She got in the next morning and closed the door. When she turned the key, the doors locked but the car wouldn't start. She stayed in that car for several hours because the battery was now too weak to unlock the doors.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

People get into a tizzy during stressful times, and don't think clearly. When my daughter was about four, I left her in the truck while I went in and paid for the gas. Small rural place. Thirty years ago. Different times and place. Left the keys in the truck. When I came back, she had playfully locked the doors. I was in a panic, and all sorts of ideas from building a slim Jim to busting out the window to being angry with her for locking the doors. Then I thought, "Smile and have her UNLOCK the doors."
I said, "You know how to lock them. Can you unlock them?" She did, and after that, I took my keys with me.
Steve
On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 11:57:03 -0800, "Steve B"

They're easy to make if you have one of those dried meat sticks.

Cute.

Steve B wrote:

I have a keyring on my belt and I always have two sets of keys to the vehicle I'm driving at all times. Because of the prevalence of sticky fingers in the area, I automatically lock any vehicle when I get out. If I'm distracted, I may forget that the keys are in the ignition.
TDD
Would it make sense to carry a second set of keys in another pocket?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote the following:

I carry a spare door key in my wallet.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I carried two sets of keys for more than 20 years. Not sure why I wanted to stop, but other than getting locked out, I like it this way. :-(
I have a spare house and car key buried somewhere near my house. I've used that several times in 25 years to get into the house. And until a year ago I had a neighor who was usually home with keys. Maybe I need to carry another key now.

I just put a magnetic key holder up under a spot in the car with a "hardware store" cut key in it. That will open the doors but it won't start the car (no chip) I seldom lock my car anyway. My father in law has a new Cadillac that doesn't even have a keyhole in the doors. There is a hidden lock in the back that gets you into the trunk and there is a door release there. To make matters worse Cadillac has a known problem that will drain the battery in a couple days. Ironically it is a defect in the door lock module.
On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 19:47:42 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

It must be hard to get the key in.

I don't think my car has one on the passenger side. Frankly, I don't remember the last time I put a key in a car door or trunk.
I do carry a spare though, and I have to get one for my new car. I have a house key hidden too. I've needed it a couple of times over the years.

You are aware, I trust, that burglars are quite familiar with the "fake rocks" (which are actually pretty damned easy to spot), and the old "under the doormat" trick.
When we lived out in the country, we had a "hiding place" for the spare house key that was about as secure as any hiding place could be: on the dog's collar.
Your dog was named Sparekey? That would be cute. The dogs collar is an excellent idea.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Doug Miller wrote:

Not if they shoot the dog.
-- aem sends...

Well, of course they'd have to know that's where the key was before it would do them any good -- and, as shaggy as that dog was, you'd have to know the key was there before you could find it.
On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 23:58:34 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Like they even need a key to get in.

Exactly. The spare key on the dog's collar was mostly for our own convenience, so that we wouldn't have to smash a window if we locked ourselves out accidentally.
Amjers always Xrays dogs, to look for house keys. Before he shoots them.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus