Freezing liquid lines

I've heard of it, but never have seen it until this week.
Last week, a walk in freezer low on gas had over an inch of ice on the liquid line and non on the suction, 9 degrees outside box was 49F
This week, homeowner called and said water all over the floor of his basement. I go over there and the air conditioners liquid line has over 1 inch on it about five feet from the outside wall, and over two inch's outside. Now this is interesting........... Oh, the unit wasn't running.
Will a TXV take care of this problem or do I need to install a solenoid valve? I wonder how much energy is lost in a years time with this transfer of heat from a forced air unit to the condenser? But what is confusing, 3/8 inch liquid line acting like a cap tube? You would not think there would be a pressure difference in such large lines on the outlet of a condenser. Hmm, wonder if they soldiered the line almost closed when they installed this, the entire installation is a mess as it is.
Rich

"Oh, the unit wasn't running."
are you sure

Dear Rich, With the temp being 9 degrees outside, it seems like your sub cooling is a bit much. I presume your condensing units are outdoors?
When I specced some commercial equipment a year or so ago, they suggested a "headmaster". Which is sure to get some laughs on this forum (Stormy getting head?). Essentially what it was, a temp controlled switch that turns the condensor fan on and off. When it's this seriously cold outside, it's possible for the refrigerant to come through the liquid line at, well, 9F. Since that's the outdoor temp. If the liquid line is too cold, the liquid refrigerant isn't under enough pressure to properly vaporize. So, it kinda lays there.
And it may have the other problems like solder blockage. But since it was Ok a few months ago, maybe it's the outdoor cold. And, a super low outdoor temp may be faking you out, to think it's low charge.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

You got head from a "headmaster" ?
That is amusing, if not par for the course.

Headmaster control is used for low ambient conditions when the unit is running.
The air conditioner has not been running since September The walk in freezer (it was a freezer, wasn't it Mark?) was running but the unit was low on gas, and it had a reciever on it. I will let you try to fiquire out what was happening there. It does not have a head master and that would help, but the cheap owner wont pay for it or a larger reciever.
The real amazing thing was the air conditioner having ice inside the home with the unit shut off. Anybody else ever come across this? I know what is happening, I just can't believe how much heat is being transfered by this uniqe situation. This was at Dan's house Mark,, the guy who owned the basket company.
Rich
Yep, low on gas would tend to use the receiver output valve as an expansion device. I can easily imagine that.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

You've been told to get some training. I suggest you now go with Bob and try car selling.
Noted, dated and timed. Lean forward a bit closer, and I'll rubberstmp your forehead "RECEIVED". And date it with a sharpie.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Stormy you've had years to get some training. The next time you burn yourself or destroy a good part while examining something. Step back and consider a new career in Warehouse Operations.

NO!!!! Don't do that.... I have gotten enough equipment that was bent and broken right out of the box!! Maybe he should consider being the parking lot sweeper..... what can you hurt with a corn broom??
Bill wrote:

No fork lift license for him. Watch those lovable madcap antics as Stumpy wraps himself in industrial strength saran wrap! Listen as he pops the bubble wrap to figure if it's louder than his farts.

That paints a picture Tekkie :-)

Watch as he licks a window!
Did I mention to call a competent repairman?
I couldn't resist that. But, more seriously, there's always somehing new a fellow hasn't seen. Which is why I love my job, it's all new every day. Cause I've seen so few things.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.