A/C working properly? Cost -> lower temp?

I just posted a description of what maintenance didn't do as a reponse to my original post.

Reply to
carie_r

I just posted a description of what maintenance didn't do as a reponse to my original post.

Reply to
carie_r

I just posted a description of what maintenance didn't do as a reponse to my original post.

Reply to
carie_r

I can see your attitude & problem solving skills are really moving that ball forward. :)

quoting law / code ain't going to get your apt cooled off

must really suck to be you.........hope it's not too hot today for you :)

Reply to
BobK207

I just posted a description of what maintenance didn't do as a reponse to my original post.

Reply to
carie_r

why are you now posting multiple replies?

new to this whole thing,, huh?

Reply to
BobK207

I just posted a description of what maintenance didn't do as a reponse to my original post.

Reply to
carie_r

I asked if he had a license as he was leaving. Can you read?

The guy was obviously pretty clueless about A/C.

I'll be writing a detailed letter to the landlord, and the state licensing board (they may have some input even though he apparently doesn' have to know what he's doing).

Reply to
carie_r

They might be, but at least they're smart enough to realize that a $320 electric bill isn't normal.

Reply to
<kjpro

Apt getting any cooler?

Reply to
BobK207

The fact that "a $320 electric bill isn&#39;t normal" for AC in a 800 sq ft is pretty much of a "duh"

It was clear early on that her AC isn&#39;t working

Reply to
BobK207

For you and others to be harping on "how many hours has it been running" is pretty much mute, DUH!!!!

You still don&#39;t get it.

Reply to
<kjpro

Y&#39;know Carie, you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

My curious mind wants to know....Are you married or single?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Hell, how about a picture? :-)

Reply to
<kjpro

btw that would moot, not mute :)

I get it just fine, IMO you&#39;re missing the point of "tangential" comments in some of the posts..............

Reply to
BobK207

Jeff-

She wants the AC to cool her apt at a reasonable cost....I don&#39;t she&#39;s interested in catching flies :)

cheers Bob

my money&#39;s on single

Reply to
BobK207

Indeed. This by itself isn&#39;t much information. I&#39;m no expert, but I know that A/C units need to be properly sized for the load. (If a unit is oversized, bad things happen like either excessively short cycle times or uncomfortable temperature swings, and maybe problems with humidity regulation.) What this means is that on the hottest few days of the year, the A/C *should* run a lot. If I understand correctly, it is perfectly reasonable behavior for your A/C unit to run for "hours" on the hottest few days of the year.

Now, combine that with the fact that the large parts of the Western US have been experiencing a heat wave. There may be record high temperatures where you live. Or maybe not; you might not live in one of those areas that is experiencing record highs. We don&#39;t have that information.

The $320 electric bill is a sign, but it&#39;s not really proof of anything. There was a guy who posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living only a few weeks ago whose electric bill at a small office suite was through the roof, even though he was only there a few days a week and turned everything off when he left. Turned out a neighboring office suite had been accidentally wired through his meter!

So, I don&#39;t think it&#39;s unreasonable to ask you to quantify "hours". (On the other hand, the flame fest that this thread has turned into is unreasonable.)

- Logan

Reply to
Logan Shaw

I have a high school (and college) diploma. Yet, I don&#39;t think everything I heard in high school (or college) is automatically true. In particular,

2000 wasn&#39;t the first year of the new millenium, and 12:00 PM is not noon.

Here&#39;s an explanation of why:

Note that this comes from NIST, the National Institute of Standards and Technology, which is the US federal government agency responsible for standardizing measurements. These are the people who operate NIST-F1, the atomic clock which is the primary reference for timekeeping in the United States, and one of the primary references worldwide.

- Logan

Reply to
Logan Shaw

I think YOU just supplied a perfectly adequate definition of &#39;outrageous&#39;.

- Logan

Reply to
Logan Shaw

Don&#39;t you think using a hoe would damage the coil? On the other hand, if it is *really* overgrown with grass or vines or something...

- Logan

Reply to
Logan Shaw