Re: Please help ID this flower

They are portulaca (moss roses) and they do readily re-seed each year. I had a bunch of them pop up in old potting soil I brought with me when I moved last fall. I dug them out and planted them along the edge of my bed by the street and they are doing great. I also planted about 100 Yubi Portulaca in a huge natural area near our cul-de-sac. They are smooth, glossy flowers but also have flat, rubbery leaves that are not hairy looking like the moss roses. The Yubi's also reseed and I'm planning on them coming back next summer. They love full, hot sun and require very little water. I own a flower planting business and I used Yubi's for a customer on a busy cobblestone sidewalk that had a statue and a bed surrounding it. It was near a business and did not get regular waterings. Last summer we were in a severe drought and they went nuts. The customer called me at the end of the summer and asked me what they were. Well, this summer we're inundated with rain and I drove by her statue. It was filled with Yubi's again. Reseeded from last year.
Penny Zone 7b - North Carolina

Thank you so much!

Penny Morgan wrote:

I'm in NW Indiana, within a mile or so of Lake Michigan. I think they just changed us to zone 6. Will these grow between stepping stones with traffic from a large dog? If I can get some seeds this late, will they still bloom?
Janine
jrstark wrote:

Janine,
I have never had much luck starting them from seed this late in the season. I doubt if you will have any luck with them if you plant them where you have traffic from a large dog. They are fairly tender and break off easily. One good thing about breaking them off is that you can stick them in moist soil and they will start a new plant. I have stared many planters that way for my neighbors from my plants.
I have some pictures of my Portulaca (Moss Rose) on my web site along with many other pictures from my and my neighbor's gardens.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850