ID plant/flower please?

Pic:

is growing in Cleveland, Ohio about 3 miles from my house. Not sure how many different types are in that planter, but something was filling up the whole area with aroma from that planter. I do not know my flowers very well, would appreciate an ID if possible. I do have a small garden, and I planted alyssums, and whatever that is has a kind of similar, maybe stronger, scent to my nose. Whatever they are, I'd like to get some for my garden. Sorry if the pic isn't the clearest, it's from a camera phone. Thanks much.

Reply to
DK1000

Petunias!

Reply to
Amos Nomore

Thanks much! But then there must be something else around there that I didn't see. I forgot to mention I do have petunias also in my garden, and I thought, no those can't be petunias, even though they kind of looked like what I have, as mine don't have a scent at all. I was looking for scented flowers when I bought mine, and at the store they told me what I'm buying will have a strong scent, but at night. I can't smell anything from mine night or day. Are there varieties that have scent and ones that don't? Mine are different colors from those in the pic. Thanks again.

Reply to
DK1000

I googled petunia + fragrant This site indicated blue-very fragrant ( but picture was a red one ?)

luck. Let us all know what you descover. John T.

Reply to
hubops

(snip)

Thanks John,

I think most of the ones in my original pic were blues and whites with a couple of red ones:

I just uploaded a pic of mine:
to the little info "card" the nursery sticks into the soil when you buy young plants, my red/red-white ones are of the "Pirouette Rose" variety, and my yellow/white ones are "Prism Sunshine". That card even refers to their website:
I picked a red one and a yellow one after dark, and brought them in the house to isolate them from the alyssums, etc., and I sniffed. The yellow one had no scent at all, and the red one almost too slight to notice, and what I did smell didn't seem like what was in that pot. I tried during the day, same thing. The bluish flowers in my garden are some type of violas, which do have a little scent. I also have the bluish-purple variety of alyssum in my garden behind the white ones, but their scent is weaker than the whites, which are quite noticeable and I like. The white ones seem to be taking over which is fine with me. Next time I'm near that planter, I'll have to look around more, something I'm not seeing. Actually whatever it was, I ran across when I was young, and I asked what that was, and someone told me "honeysuckle", and I remember like yellow or reddish flowers at the time (can't remember which), and they were bigger and looked different that what I now know as honeysuckle, as I bought a Japanese honeysuckle plant about 5 years ago thinking that was that old mystery plant, and I find that it isn't, but I kept it anyways.

Reply to
DK1000