How to Connect Two Sections of Water Hose?

My outdoor water hose has a small hole (probably squirrel did that). I want to fix it by using a 5/8" coupling mender that I bought from Home Depot. It is basically a brass tube with barb in both ends. I cut away the section of the water hose that has the hole, and then I insert the barb end of the brass tube to the water hose -- this connects the two sections of water hoses together. And then, I use two clamps to tighen the water hose onto the brass tube. Sounds simple so far. The problem is that I see a small stream of water spraying out from the connecting area of the brass tube as soon as I turn on the water. Tightening the clamps further doesn't fix the problem.

What should I do now?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jay Chan

Reply to
Jay Chan

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Jay Chan) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

I've seen similar or the same device you're talking about, but never used one. Anyway, you could try removing it, let it dry, and wrap the brass parts with teflon tape and reconnect. It's cheap, like US$1 (or maybe 4 for US$1). I've used it to stop leaks on regular screw-on hose connections, don't know about push-ons.

-- Salty

Reply to
Salty Thumb

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

I recently had the same problem. I took it apart and pushed the barbs into the hose farther (with all my strength), retightened the clamps, and now it's fine.

Leslie

Reply to
Leslie

-snip-

After you warm up the hose, as several have suggested already, then lubricate it with a couple drops of dish soap.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I use my lighter. fast. Ingrid

"David Hill" wrote:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

This is the follow-up on the original question:

Finally, I fix the problem. Now, the connecting point of the hose doesn't leak any more. This is what I have done:

- Use the correct sized screw driver. This takes care of most of the leak.

- Warm the hose with a hair dryer before tightening the screw of the clamp. This takes care of the remaining tiny leak that the big screw driver cannot take care of. Thanks for people who have suggested this tip.

I don't need to use a telfon tapes, and I don't need a different type of connector. Happy ending...

Jay Chan

Reply to
Jay Chan