Pruning a Kousa

Our kousa dogwood has become rather floppy topped - it is reaching for more sun. Transplanting is not an option. What about pruning back some branches?
We live in SW Pennsylvania. Best time of year to do this?

Dogwoods do not like to be pruned as I recall. I take out dead wood only.
Bill
--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
mine does too, but it is a growing, gangling teenager right now, I expect as it hits its expected height it will begin to put on more weight in the main trunk. after the flush of spring growth it does seem to straighten up a bit. INgrid

This is a good question. I would recommend reviewing this book: http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/TPRUNING.html If you library does not have it, ask them to order it.
Also, it sounds like you would be better starting with a healthy tree. For correct planting and care instructions I STRONGLY "SUGGEST" this book. http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/MARBOR.html
here are some web sites that may also help you.
1. Techno Tree Biology Dictionary http://www.treedictionary.com . Look up "logging".
2. Articles written by DR. ALEX L. SHIGO, one of the foremost authorities worldwide on tree systems today online at http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/index.html
3. Literature Available by Dr. Shigo is here: http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/treeinfo.html
4. Hard to get Documents http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/hardtoget/index.html
If you have any suggestions please let me know. 610-864-5251
John A. Keslick, Jr. Tree Biologist http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman / Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY! Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Unlike some of the other answers you've received, I have no problem purning my kousa right after it flowers. As a matter of fact I'm going to prune mine in a week or so, it's infringing on the little japanese maple planted next to it. I've removed branches that overhang the driveway with no resultant issues with the tree, it's well established, at least 25 years old, grown from seed from my mother's plant. Prune away.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

How could a three foot tall japanese maple encroach on a 25 foot tall kousa?
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Kousas do fine when you prune them. We trim ours occasionally during the winter.
Ann wrote:

Ann
My mistake. I thought it was a Norway maple.