Kousa dogwood and sun

I live in Zone 5 and would like to plant a Kousa dogwood in my front yard. However, I've read conflicting reports on sun requirements/tolerance. The yard faces south and gets nearly full sun. As an alternative, I could place the Kousa in the back yard, which also get considerable sun but faces north. I'd appreciate your thoughts and advice.

Thanks.

Reply to
Stuart E. Weiner

My Kousa does just fine in full sun.

Reply to
Travis

Full sun is fine, go for it! I love Kousas!

Reply to
Tom Randy

They are not at all too picky. They like to be on the edge of a wooded area where they are partially protected but grow more upright in full overhead sun. They will do better with more sun than less sun. Dogwoods tend to be subject to disease and it helps to keep mulch around them to help avoid weed trimmers and mowers from damaging the trunk.

Reply to
Phisherman

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

I'm in zone 5 as well, and my Kousa dogwood gets full afternoon sun. The backyard faces east and has mature deciduous trees, so it's shady in the morning. The front yard faces west, and there's a street that makes a T in front of my house, so full sun all afternoon. The kousa is in the front, in the strip between my driveway and the neighbor's house to the south. So lots of sun, no adverse effects.

Reply to
Chelsea Christenson